– Better visualization of the currently selected element – Pen, Stencils, Material, Shader…
– Re-enabled very old option (Prefs->Beta->Treat retopo groups as materials) in settings that allow treating retopo groups as materials instead of objects. This is just for tests, we do not guarantee that it will be kept in the future.
– Pivot option – rotate around the camera origin.
A lot of improvements in the Brush engine
– New modifiers – Relax, Sharpen, Eat details.
– New brushes – Sharpen, Super smooth. Those brushes are valency – independent, based on reprojection onto the regular Grid. Sharpen performs local pinch toward the Convex/Concave details of the Surface.
– Position sampling introduced.
– Picking normals and position methods separated in the UI.
– Roof Pinch to preserve details during the pinch.
– Correct Presets panel in the Activity bar.
– Correct saving settings in the Brush Engine.
– Brush engine polished essentially, parameters split into sections, Build Up mode remastered.
– Brush engine got (optional) mode similar to the “Absolute brush” action. It is in the buildup settings.
– Jitters for the Brush engine.
– Principally new buildup mechanism for the Brush Engine. Now buildup and non-buildup brushes act exactly the same, the difference starts when you stroke the same place many times. Non-buildup reaches some height limit, buildup grows infinitely (but slowly) if the modifier allows.
– Fixed crash – rename shaders folder.
– Cylinder primitive UI corrected.
– Fixed Stencil & Cutoff issue with transformed volumes.
– Fixed Freeze in polygon mode issue (dependence on radius).
– Fixed crash during the Panorama loading.
– Cutoff with curves stability improved.
– Corrected mapping parameters dialog.
– Tools panel in Tweak room restored.
– Presets & Surface tools in Voxel mode work correctly now.
– Fixed Mesh corruption in the Retopo room when doing Subdivision (sometimes).
– Fixed possible infinite loop in AO calculation.
– Fixed strange offside shadow of the Activity bar.
– Fixed problem of Stencil + Disabled “Show voxels in Paint room”.
– Fixed unmovable Mapping settings dialog.
– Fixed Ghost & Autosave problem.
– Fixed Sphere tool “From start point” issue.
– Symmetry & Lasso drawing with symmetry working correctly.
– Cloth tool PAUSE problem fixed.
– Dependency parameters disappearing fixed.
– Anisotropic noise fixed (in Noise tool).
What’s New in 3DCoat 4.9.37
Introducing you the new 3DCoat 4.9.37 Update adding multiple useful tools and improvements, all to make your 3D artwork faster, easier and better.
3DCoat now has native support of Blender via built-in AppLink!
See videos on how to install and the export options – Video 2 and Video 3.
Full compatibility with Quixel Megascans added! If you download a Quixel material into “Downloads” 3DCoat will automatically notify you that a new material has been downloaded and will offer you to install it as a material or shader.
The same happens if you download a Smart Materials pack from the 3DCoat PBR Scans Store.
3DCoat imports external maps during PPP import in a much smarter way now. It recognizes gloss/roughness/metalness maps and puts them to the corresponding layers.
Full path to the texture shown in the Smart Material’s hint.
If several UV sets use the same name, the user will be asked to rename, so the confusion could be avoided.
Tweaking vertex position with RMB updates mesh normals correctly now.
Correct text via F9 moved to the Help menu.
Correct symmetry support for all retopo/select commands. Split selected edges supports SHIFT snapping.
“On plane” constraints made accessible in the Retopo room.
Correct support of TIFF files (4.1.0) added, including Zip compression.
Removed old-style gizmos from the Curve/Text tools.
Baking of intersecting objects without “blur” between layers now.
Res+ works correctly for really large meshes (can subdivide up to 160m with 32 GB RAM).
Paint with CTRL urgent issue fixed. Now CTRL inverts depth, as usual, CTRL + SHIFT erases, SHIFT smoothes.
Retopo commands like shell/extrude/etc… will not follow mouse movements, all extrusions will be committed only with the gizmo manipulations.
Navigation keys assignment fixed.
Painted metallicity is not destroyed by the cutoff.
Fixed different problems related to attached smart materials.
Essentially faster switching between smart materials.
CTRL in paint mode works like an eraser if smart material enabled.
better quality of brushing along drawn the curve (especially if the curve has not many points).
Removed duplicate messages about layers locking
Released July 27, 2019
Possibility of resolution-independent texture locking over the layer. Importing or calculation of normal map, occlusion, the cavity will lock the layer. Texture will be saved to disk. As soon as you change the resolution, the locked texture will be used instead of the current layer state resampling. It is very important when you want to paint the materials in low quality of textures and then get high quality at the end.
Moving smart materials to other folder takes less space in RMB menu, it is consolidated into a single line with the submenu.
Support of 16-bit PNG for alphas.
Edge width correction for Cube mapping, dedicated settings panel for cube mapping.
CutOff in surface mode completely redone. Now the shape of the cut is very uniform and accurate. Depth and back plane limitations produce an accurate sharp cut. Soft booleans supported (see image).
Soft booleans for all primitives, volumes merging, cutoff.
List of ghosted, isolated volumes stored into scene file (3B).
Much more stable and powerful Geometry->Close holes.
Automatic closing the objects before the voxelization.
Store pose selection to layer, picking pose selection from the layer. Works similar (to some degree) to poly groups.
Load/Save option for noise.
Correct brushing on the edge of the mesh (blob effect decreased a lot).
Pose tool angle snapping problem fixed.
Sharp edges support in Retopo room. Baking, import/export support.
Context-sensitive RMB menu in retopo room, it is especially helpful in the “Select” tool for low-poly modeling.
In UV settings you may control the default unwrapping method.
Extrude-like tools in retopo room are more convenient and intuitive, similar to other 3d editors.
Unwrap method “To stripe” has been polished and set as default within the “Unwrap” command to be used when applicable. This method unwraps strips of quads into accurate and straight lines. Unwrap detects such cases automatically.
New curves (enable in Preferences -> Show beta tools):
Edge for all curve modifiers can be customized in a really rich way.
A truly rich set of curves modifiers (RMB over the curv
Possibility to relocate 3DCoat’s data folder in the Edit menu.
Support of language correction. Press F2 to correct any text in UI. You may also add new languages support within the UI and translate any UI elements.
Automatic zipping of scenes. It is disabled by default, enable it in preferences to use.
Create alphas from 3D models updated – fast preview rendering (previously it was software rendering), so high-poly meshes allowed there.
Image files recognized not by extension (that may be wrong) but by signature. It prevents multiple user errors. Sometimes files downloaded from the internet have wrong extension.
Correct alpha channel visualization in Paint mode for polygonal models (not voxels/surface!). Polygons sorted from back to front in real time for correct rendering. It works fast, but if you feel it is slow, you can turn it off in the View menu.
.exr added to the list of extensions, acceptable for pen alpha.
EPS files import corrected.
Ref images changed.
ESC closes guides.
Edit plaсement and paint over ref images are separated to different menu commands to avoid unintentional painting.
Possibility to show plane only for exact views (option in references droplist).
FBX support up to FBX 2019.
Importing multiple 3dcpacks.
– Context-sensitive RMB menu in the retopo room, it is especially helpful in the “Select” tool for low-poly modeling.
– Extrude-like tools in retopo room are more convenient and intuitive, similar to other 3d editors.
– Sharp edges marking in Retopo room. Baking, import/export support.
– In UV settings you may control the default unwrapping method.
– List of ghosted, isolated volumes stored into scene file (3B).
– Bunch of crashes fixed.
– Unwrap method “To stripe” polished and set as default within “Unwrap” command to be used when applicable. This method unwraps strips of quads into accurate and straight lines. Unwrap detects such cases automatically.
– Voxelizing dialog offers new options – closing holes and additional subdivision before the voxelizing.
– Options for automatic holes closing/additional subdivision during the voxelisation.
– Pose tool angle snapping problem fixed, switching from other tools to Pose tool transforms freeze state to pose selection, Undo problems in pose + free form fixed.
– fixed various pose undo problems.
– The new tool in surface toolset: Magnify layers
– Magnify depth tool works correctly for sculpting layers.
– Clone tool for sculpting layers works correctly.
– FillTool + sculpt layers are working correctly.
– Enabled eraser tool for sculpt layers.
– Possibility to unwrap stripe-like UV islands into straight lines. Use “UV->Selected->To Stripe”.
– Store pose selection to layer, picking pose selection from the layer. Works similar (to some degree) to poly groups in ZB.
– Edge for all curve modifiers may be customized in really rich way.
– Less memory consumption during the export. It means possibility for stable 16K textures export.
– Unused locked textures will be deleted automatically to save disk space.
– Running several different versions of 3D-Coat will not interfere with each other. Previously it was causing problems with Undo, eliminating cached volumes.
– FBX import without vertices welding to preserve vertex order during the export/import
– Curves got really rich update. Now it is possibly to construct many different shapes using curves in non-destructive way. Click RMB over the curve and look at the list of modifiers. There are videos that describe how it works:
Swept Surface 1 – https://youtu.be/8BCawmVqGK4
Creating a surface of revolution – https://youtu.be/XdYuoaNIwsA
Polyhedron – https://youtu.be/c7Xld8udEXM
Swept Surface 2 – https://youtu.be/pLkBVx8vKPI
Swept Surface 3 – https://youtu.be/p8g6pn_810s
Sword – https://youtu.be/Qyy-aqPG1iY
Goose – https://youtu.be/f9mY5wlvvwA
– Very important! Possibility of resolution-independent texture locking over the layer. Importing or calculation of normalmap, occlusion, cavity will lock layer. Texture will be saved to disk. As soon as you will change resolution, the locked texture will be used instead of current layer state resampling. It is very important if you want to paint materials in low quality of texture and then get high quality at the end.
– Support of 16-bit PNG tor alphas
– Fixed polygon – painting mode (in E-panel) for materials painting in UV mode.
– “Ghost but this” corrected, it is not screwed by Undo anymore.
– Toggle UI visibility using TAB or Windows->Toggle Popup/Docked Windows.
– FBX export preserves vertex order
– Indication of ortho/perspective in right bottom corner
– Export presets listed in File->Create extension
– Correct loading scenes with transparency on Layer0
– Create alphas from 3D models updated – fast preview rendering (previously it was software rendering), so high-poly meshes allowed there.
– Image files recognized not by an extension (that may be wrong) but by signature. It prevents multiple user errors. Sometimes files, downloaded from the internet have the wrong extension.
– Correct alpha channel visualization in paint mode for polygonal models (not voxels/surface!). Polygons sorted from back to front in real time for correct rendering. It works fast, but if you feel it is slow, you may turn it off in View menu.
– exr added to the list of extensions, acceptable for pen alpha.
– Importing models as alphas window is now hardware accelerated, big models acceptable too.
– Edge width correction for Cube mapping, own settings panel for cube mapping
– EPS files import corrected.
– Fixed problem of 16/32 bit tiff/exr alphas importing.
– Fixed double undo problem in pose tool and lasso/rect selection
– Restored Rotate/scale controls in transform gizmo
– Correct undo after voxelization of the volume, attached to curve.
– Load/Save option for noise
– Fixed problem in curves tool – sometimes only one instance of the model was appearing.
– Importing multiple 3dcpacks
– Enabled supports for printing
– Fixed negative alpha issue
– more intuitive job with “Virtual mirror” in retepo room. By default the active side is where more polygons placed.
– Fixed crash when new shader created in empty Paint room
– Switching between camera shortcuts does not cancel chosen material.
– zipping scenes polished, but still requires testing.
– Enabled Reproject in SL version
– Fixed many different undo issues.
– Drag & Drop multiple layers in VoxTree
– Better picking edges/points in retopo room even if pen radius is tiny.
– Ref images changes:
1) ESC closes guides
2) Edit plaсement and paint over ref images are separated to different menu commands to avoid unintentional painting.
3) Possibility to show plane only for exact views (option in references droplist)
– Fixed problems related to pressure.
– FBX support up to FBX 2019
– Undo problems fixed.
– Zipping-on-the-fly now optional, turn it on in Preferences->AutoZipScenes. Now it works safely, even huge scenes supported, no contradiction with undo. The problem with undo existed for a long time, now fixed. Generally need to test this feature before serious usage, but IMO it is now stable.
– Smooth all in surface mode works correctly with multiselection.
– Pose rect selection, gizmo at center mass
– fill layer problem fixed
– fixed crash during DEL
– Possibility to save curves to separate files
– Support of multiple modifiers per curve
– Remove stretching compatible with SL
– Fixed baking issue from the surface mode (critical one, multiple shells was created in 23 build)
– Booleans in surface mode – more stable and faster. Soft booleans!
– rotate/scale buttons in transform tool.
– Generally faster brushing in surface mode because of faster picking algorithm.
– Renaming any layer to 2+2 will name it not 4 but 2+2
– The removed redundant offer of old-style occlusion baking.
– Pose tool multi-symmetry correct support
– The removed invisible close icon in UI that was leading to unexpected windows closing.
– New import option – sharp edges over seams
– Add joints manually in Joints tool
– Custom gamma correction in the viewport for different monitors support, look Preferences
– Better UI for export dialog.
– Multiple stability improvements, UI related bugs fixed.
– You may display chunks length, double-click over the number will change it to the given value.
– Partial extrude, selected points only.
– Possibility to display length of chunks between sharp points (in curve RMB settings), double-click on the value will change the length without affecting neighbor lengths.
Important improvement! Much less memory consumption for per-pixel painting. Stiil requires some testing if nothing is broken in PPP.
– Fixed the crash problem in the measure tool( point of the first click equals to point of the second click)
– Problem of flipping pen direction fixed.
– Fixed export crash
– Measurement units kepth between sessions
– fixed problem of scaling during fill (if scene has scale <> 1)
– fixed rare crash related to complex UI configurations.
– Duplicate layer works correctly
– Reproject tool polished, correctly works with scale, well documented via tooltips, may project color and depth and keep all this in layers.
– Fixed painting with symmetry problems – incorrect alpha rotation.
– Correct lasso job in UV preview window.
– 3DC does not calculate cavity/occlusion for invisible objects.
– Solved problem of UI layout changes during new/import/applinks interaction.
– Fixed problems of RMB/LMB outside the curves window.
– Fixed Undo issue if you delete object from the vox tree using backet icon.
– Proxy additional warning to prevent loosing cached volumes.
– Doubleclick to delete point in curve window, correct edit of Tapering and other windows with curves on smaller screens.
– Correct name of volume after merging mesh with complex extension
– Highlight volume information correctly stored, not lost after Coat’s restart.
– Reprojection tool! Yo may reproject using brush or whole scene
– fixed flickering of UI during depth opacity changing.
– correct points extrude function over partially selected curve.
– Correct “Pick point1/2” picking in FIll tool
– solved different problems of volumes multiselection
– fixed script commands SetCurVolume, SelectVolume
– Open VDB codec enabled.
– baking corrected. There was a lot of problems of baking non-closed objects in surface representation.
– primitives for curves
– Curves->Modifiers menu
– Extrude points
– a lot of polishing of different tools.
– back side of curve visibility toggle.
– Merge Down, Merge Visible
– correct load/save of scene
– a lot of polishing and bugfix.
– Skip textures export if need (checkbox in export dialog).
– Axial rotation in text primitive.
– fixed problem of positioning Tool params window
– Select visible islands in UV/Retopo rooms with rectangle.
– Store camera/[panorama data to the preset.
– Curves “Apply” corrected to work in all tools.
– Possibility to click to fill in material editor (in fill tool)
– Better picking corners in all windows where curve edit required.
– Fixed problems with 8k curvature
– Retopo via decimation works correctly with objects of non 1.0 scale.
– Lasso works correctly in fill tool
– Correct Transform+pick volumes. Use CTRL/SHIFT to select/unselect.
– fixed problem of some commands in space menu (at the end of list)
– Fixed potential instability in Light Baking Tool.
– RFill (Quad Fill) included into regular retopo toolset, corrected to work as expected.
– fill by patch remade. Should be faster and more accurate.
– joining points.
– reworked RMB menu
– projecting points on plane
– Correct EPS/spline import export. IGES supported. But IGES is not included in community version, if you need to test it, send me request I will send special key.
– possibility to link several points if snapping to points enabled. They will be moved together.
– many more small changes
– fixed problem of 3B loading (in case of using Curves tool)
– fixed scale of objects in Instant meshes
– AppLinks specifications updated
– Space Menu shortcuts bar problems fixed
3D-COAT 4.8.14 beta
– Instant meshes integration. Press RMB over object, AUTOPO->….. It supports symmetry. Don’t expect too much. It is about robustness and stability, but not about too great quality.
– Autopo density problems fixed.
– New curves are in very good state. Still need a lot of development, but now it is closer to Corel in 3D. Still beta. (Edit->Prefs->ShowNewCurvs)
– Posibility of 16-bit export for displacement in export constructor.
– Metall support in picture transform tool. If gloss enabled, imported image will be with metallness. You may vary it with slider.
– FlipX, FlipY, FlipZ for Tweak room
– CTRL+UnifyUV to unify UV sets with same names.
– Import multiple objects for PPP.
– Correct PSD export, correct dropping to PS with smart materials with masks. But still have problems with attached materials. Export is OK, getting back is sometimes problematic.
– Backface culling in retopo works correctly
– If 3D-Coat unable to start, it tries to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem.
– Prevenfing pivot to appear far from scene boundbox.
– To Global / To Uniform space works correctly with multiselection.
– Save VoxTree elements as 3B file works correctly with multiselection. And many other corrected to be compatimle with multiselection.
– Smart transtion between perspective and orthographic mode that keeps scale of scene near the pivot point.
– Correct pivot point management. Avoiding situation when it is randomly set somewhere outside the real scene. Left/Fromt/… views corrected to avoid – situations when you see nothing in scene after switching.
– Primitives in primitives history correct boolean operation type update.
– Curves modifiers got button “Attach to selected curves”.
– Tablet pen pressure should be float to support more pressure levels
– Fixed problem of too bright border when you select VoxTree item in incremental rendering mode
– Constant growing in voxel “Airbrush” tool as written in description.
– Highlight tweaked to be less aggressive
– VoxTree multiselection support. Still needs some testing if it works correctly for all mode. Please report where you see it fails. There are too much applications of multiselect, so something may be missed. Both VoxTre and Curves tree support CTRL, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT multiselection similar to explorer.
– New Curves are in good beta state. Enable it in Edit->Preferences->ShowNewCurves. Pay attention to RMB menu over curves.
– Calculator in each input field. You may enter expressions instead of nubber anywhere, where you need numerical input. For example, enter 1+2 or sin(1.5) or any arithmetic operation incliding trygonometry.
– Highlighting for selected objects. When you select object it flashes shortly a little to locate it easily.
– By default Auto Pick enabled, more easy switching between objects.
– Faster Bas-relief & undercuts.
– “Paste merged” in “Rect/Transform” tool enabled. Seems it works correctly in PPP.
– Fixed mesh exposion during baking with mesh extrusion
– a lot of small corrections in primitives
– Updated transform gizmo – non uniform scaling in plane introduced.
– Fixed UNDO issue when RMB->Save volume as 3B
– Correct SHIFT constraint outside the object in lines lasso mode, correct deleting hotkey (no auto – restore keys of undefined actions), correct lines mode work in several voxel tools.
– Baking problems fixed. Better direction of scanning (angle -weighted), support of N-gons (N up to 128).
Curves changes (enable new cues in Edit->Prefs->ShowNewCurves):
– Snapping to curves, snapping system completely rebuilt.
– ENTER to APPLY curves.
– split curve by click in adding points mode.
– Smart Materials depth scaling is now independent on ortho/perspective/viewport and on viewport size / FOW.
– fixed problem of grayed out export (sometimes, rarely)
– fixed problem of moving UV islands
– possibility to record strokes as curves (enable NewCurves in settings), set RecordStrokes in Curves menu, look CurvesTree
3D-COAT 4.8.07 beta
– fixed export problem
– Fixed problems of Lathe tool (inability to move points)
– Added “Preferences > Tablet Library” selection between “WinTab” and “TabletPC”
– A lot of polishing in primitives (bolts etc)
– New Curves are much more functional now. Still a lot of work there. Find it in Preferences->ShowNewCurves, then enable spline lasso mode in E panel. Look also RMB menu over newely created curves.
– Correct FBX export/import. Nodes hierarchy, transforms, pivots will be preserved.
– Fixed normal sampling and picking position for non-current object in clay/flaltten and similar tools.
– Fixed problem of Vox Clay with CTRL (was vanishing whole object)
– Fixed Scratches2 brush (it was unsafe, making random holes etc)
– Correct Constructor tool snapping.
– Correct usage of current color in Smart materials. Current color will be stored in attached materials as well.
-A lot of polishing in Primitives, many bugs and inconsitencies fixed.
-A lot of time was spent on updating curves, it is not finished, so not exposed in this build. You may alphatest it, enable Edit -> Prefereces-> ShowNewCurves, restart 3D-Coat. Keep attention, it is alpha version, many things are non-functional. Press E and select Lasso of splines.
3D-COAT 4.8.04 beta
– Fixed problem of baking sculpt shaders to paint room
– Fixed problem of texture preview when you edit shader.
– Bake menu in Paint room. It allows to drop paint objects to Sculpt room, modify there and bake normal/other maps back on paint object.
– Plane tool in paint room works correctly with normalmap layer.
– Sticky kays activation time increased to prevent false sticking.
– fixed problem of very long importing for PPP in some cases.
New in v4.8
Possibility to attach Smart Materials to layers! Materials managing becomes even easier.
Improved Curvature calculation. This is crucial for Smart Materials to be looking even more realistic.
New Primitives in Retopo room: cylinder, torus, cube, ellipse, spiral, etc. We are getting closer and closer to a low-poly modeling!
Possibility to change the resolution of textures, attached materials will automatically be re-sampled!
Smart Materials usage history.
Render scene in Renderman. Yep, you heard it right!
Proxy Slider. Set your proxy degree with an easy slider movement.
Baking Scan. Paint baking depth with the brush. Now you can define with an ease of a brush stroke how big the depth of scanning will be.
4K monitors support. Now UI elements and font size will automatically fit your screen resolution.
Rotation mode quick switch – around Y or free rotation. See navigation panel.
Need both modes at hand? Now you have the quick swap.
Possibility to assign fixed bump to smart material, independent of pen radius and depth.
If there are too many folders in materials/stencils etc, they will be represented as a dropdown list.
Correct displacement visualization in PPP approach.
This link is being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; it does not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Toolfarm.com of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual. Toolfarm.com bears no responsibility for the accuracy, legality or content of the external site or for that of subsequent links. Contact the external site for answers to questions regarding its content.