v2023 Boris FX Silhouette – Perpetual License
Upgrade From $495.00
Download demos and trial versions, product documentation, free presets and more.
You may download a free Demo after logging in.
Academy Award-Winning Paint, Roto & Compositing
Boris FX Silhouette 2023 is a single suite of powerful tools for rotoscope and paint work. Developed by VFX veterans, this powerful package boasts over 400 nodes featuring best-in-class Sapphire, Mocha Pro, and Particle Illusion tools – all fully integrated into a single suite of features! Embraced by VFX artists from films like Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Top Gun: Maverick, Dune, and The Mandalorian to name but a few; Silhouette continues its reign as an industry titan. With several Emmy awards under its belt, Silhouette has further cemented itself as part of Netflix Production Technology Alliance.
What’s new in Silhouette 2023.5
- AI / ML: Generative AI and machine learning tools debut in the Stability and Denoiser ML nodes.
- Grain Management Tools: Denoiser ML, Regrain, and Sapphire UltraGrain nodes deliver cinematic realism to projects.
- Primatte: The Academy Award-nominated technology makes it easy to key and composite green/blue screen footage with a GPU-accelerated algorithm and 3D Preview display.
- Expressions: Create complex animations & link parameters, perform math functions, and use variables without writing code.
- Nodes: Atmospheric Glow and Curves.
- Presets: Beauty Studio, Camera Shake, Chromatic Aberration, Day for Night, Develop, Film Glow, Grunge, Light Leaks, Prism, Rays, Smear Blur, Sunset, Two Strip, Vignette, and X-Ray.
Stable Diffusion is a pioneering, deep-learning text-to-image model primarily used to generate detailed images based on text descriptions.
The new Stability node integrates Stable Diffusion models directly in Silhouette. Inpaint, outpaint, or generate images from scratch using text prompts!
Packed with Effects Tools
New 2023 versions of Sapphire, Mocha Pro, Particle Illusion, and select Continuum nodes.
Sapphire: Award-winning effects with 270+ nodes and thousands of presets. Featuring the best lighting effects, lens flares, and creative image processing filters.
Mocha Pro: Featuring PowerMesh, Remove, and Stabilize. Data ports and node actions integrate Mocha Pro with other nodes.
Particle Illusion: Create realistic particle simulations with 3D emitters, fluid dynamics, and a massive preset library. Add useful environmental elements such as snow, smoke, and fire — all within Silhouette.
Continuum: Atmospheric Glow, Magic Sharp, Beauty Studio, Light Leaks, Video Glitch, Film Glow, and many blur filters.
Grain Management Nodes
Three powerful nodes join Silhouette’s expanded grain management tools.
- Denoiser ML: Employs sophisticated deep learning techniques to eliminate unwanted noise from images while preserving critical features.
- Regrain: Samples the source image’s grain, regenerates and randomizes it for the purpose of adding it back to a degrained composite.
- Sapphire UltraGrain: Adds simulated film and digital camera grain to the image.
Make quick work out of challenging blue/green screen footage.
Primatte keys out and replaces blue/green screens with transparency to seamlessly replace backgrounds. The GPU-accelerated algorithm uses three multi-faceted polyhedrons floating in RGB color space to isolate color regions. A 3D Preview display aids in the visualization of the keyed value.
Boris FX Silhouette Features – Perpetual License
PROFESSIONAL ROTO TOOLS
Silhouette is the world’s most refined rotoscoping tool. Create sophisticated masks using B-Spline, Bézier, X-Spline, or Magnetic Freehand shapes. Easy-to-use tools such as variable per-point edge softening and magnetic reshaping assist in creating articulate animations in record time. Render mattes with realistic motion blur or export to industry-standard shape formats.
Advanced roto tools include:
- Highly-optimized interface, layer controls, and toolset
- Specialized shape editing tools include magnetic splines, point groups, weighted keyframes, brush-based reshape, split shapes, collapse, and distribute points
- Cryptomatte support
- Integrated point tracking, planar tracking, and Mocha planar tracking
- IK (Inverse Kinematics) to animate limbs and all manner of jointed creatures
- Stereoscopic 3D workflow
- Built for teams and collaboration with review/approval notes for quality control
AUTO PAINT FOR SPEED AND RELIABILITY
Silhouette’s 32-bit float raster-based paint and tracking system meets the demands of high-resolution, color-managed VFX pipelines. A unique AutoPaint recording system delivers the speed of raster paint with the repeatability of vector paint on tasks like matte painting, beauty work, rig removal, or just plain paint.
- Paint Tools: Pressure-sensitive customizable brushes and presets. Includes Clone, Grain, Repair, Drag, and more.
- Non-Destructive Paint: Efficient layer system for high resolution film/video paint.
- Channels & Detail Separation: Paint on individual RGBA channels or work on separated detail and color views for advanced control.
- Sophisticated Cloning: Advanced offset and warping, onion skin, and display views enable a streamlined workflow for aligning, patching, and removing unwanted pixels.
- Powerful Tracking Options: Native point, planar tracking, and Mocha options.
- New Mocha Pro and PowerMeshWarp nodes enable warped surface paint workflows.
NODE-BASED COMPOSITING & IMAGE PROCESSING
Silhouette’s core is a powerful node-based effects tree that delivers film-grade results. View and edit any combination of nodes for complex compositing, matte manipulation, keying, color correction, grain management, look development, morphing, warping, and much more.
Silhouette 2022 includes 400+ specialty nodes organized into Color, Composite, Diffusion, Filter, Film Lab, Image, Key, Light, Sapphire, Silhouette, Special Effects, Time, Tints, Transform, Warp, and OFX groups.
- Gestural node-based compositing
- Improved tracking and spline data ports and node actions
- Updated OCIO v2 color managed workflow
- Customizable workspaces for dual monitor set-ups
- Exacting color grading with 4-way color wheels and presets
- Proprietary matte generation
- Edge tools to color correct or blur the composite’s edge
- Matte manipulation using shrink, grow, blur, and wrap functions
- Now includes Sapphire effects (270 nodes) and Particle Illusion (1700+ emitters).
Now including the Mocha Pro node! The fully-featured Silhouette interface for roto, paint, and compositing can also be launched as a plugin from standard VFX applications: After Effects, Premiere Pro, Nuke, Fusion, Resolve, and Flame.
The Silhouette multi-host plugin is included with all Silhouette standalone application licenses or can be purchased as a separate option.
Not sure which option is best for you? View our compare chart.
Warping & Morphing
Silhouette’s fully-featured shape based warp and morph tools provide the highest level of creative control and render quality for digital retouching, image deformations, and even talking animals. Create invisible touch-ups, subtle facial exaggerations, or dramatic transitions with either shape or pin options.
With a rich history on some of the world’s most famous music videos and effects shots, unique “shape-to-shape morphing transitions” can be timed per layer with interactive previews for fast flexibility. Intro to Morphing Video
Pin Warp is perfect for beauty work, allowing user-defined image areas using pins while leaving other areas untouched. Adjustments can range from subtle nip and tucks to something more obvious like repositioning an arm or leg. Watch Now
Keying & Matte Generation
The powerful zMatte and Power Matte nodes use proprietary matte extraction techniques that handle the most difficult keying and matting challenges, including shots with fine hair detail, smoke, or reflections.
zMatte keying features multiple matte creation, light wrapping, edge correction, spill suppression, and matte manipulation. Watch Now
Power Matte’s unique interactive workflow enhances the matte creation process on normally non-keyable shots with foreground and background shape selectors that generate incredibly realistic and accurate results on semi-transparent objects. Watch Now
Powerful Tracking Options
The industry’s most powerful tracking drives Silhouette’s animation system and can be applied to speed up paint, roto, warp, and stabilization tasks. Choose from point tracking, native planar tracker, or the award-winning Mocha Pro node, now included in Silhouette 2022.
New surface tool, data ports, and node actions bring a seamless workflow between Mocha and Silhouette nodes.
Pre-processing filters can increase tracker accuracy for problematic images. Choose Blur, Sharpen, Contrast, Gamma, De-Noise, or Remove Flicker. Post-processing filters can be applied to tracking data including Average, Smooth, and Merge.
Sapphire, Particle Illusion & Continuum
- Sapphire: Best-in-class effects include UltraGlow, UltraZap, Lens Flare, Shake, and more.
- Particle Illusion: Add 2D/3D animated particle simulations like snow, smoke, and fire with fluid dynamics.
- More Filters: 12 select nodes from Continuum are included. Featuring Magic Sharp, Beauty Studio, Light Leaks, Video Glitch, Film Glow, and 6 new blur filters.
Combine new plugins for compositing and effects
Mocha Pro Node
Award-winning Mocha Pro planar tracking is now a node included with Silhouette.
- GPU-accelerated object removal
- PowerMesh warped surface tracking
- Insert compositing with AdjustTrack
- Award-winning stereo 360/VR tools
Looking for bundle options? Silhouette + Mocha Pro are also available as a standalone application bundle for savings.
- macOS: 10.15 or higher*
- Windows: Windows 10 or 11
- Linux: Linux distributions that conform to the CY2021 VFX Reference Platform Platform as specified at www.vfxplatform.com
*macOS 12.0 or higher for best performance when using machine learning nodes
- Processor: Intel or AMD processor
- Memory: 8GB of RAM or more
- Disk: High-speed disk array or SSD storage. 1GB of available disk space for caching and temporary files
- NVIDIA GTX 460 or better
- AMD Radeon 57xx series or better
- OpenGL 2.1 capable graphics card
- OpenCL 1.1 capable graphic card
- 4GB of graphics memory for film resolution
- Nodelocked or floating license.
- Nodelock licenses require an internet connection once every 60 days
- Resolution independent
- Region of interest for enhanced performance
- OpenColorIO v2 color management
- GPU and OpenGL® accelerated
- Multi-processor support
- Mac M1 silicon support
- Adobe After Effects and Adobe Premiere Pro
- Foundry Nuke
- Blackmagic Resolve and Fusion (support for MacOS & Windows only)
- Autodesk Flame
Note: The Silhouette plugin option includes the Mocha Pro node, but does not include Particle Illusion or Sapphire effects.
- Builder Improvements
- Expressions in Effect Builder
- Renaming S_Effect and S_Transition parameters
- Ability to save favorite effects
- Quick access menu
- Autosave inside Effect Builder
- Widgets in Premiere
- Autosave inside Flare Designer
- New LensFlares
- New Builder Presets
- Packed with Effects: Now includes Sapphire, Particle Illusion, Beauty Studio, Magic Sharp, and more. Hundreds of nodes and thousands of presets!
- Mocha Pro & Tracking Improvements: Now includes the Mocha Pro node with a new surface tool, DOD, and more.
- InPaint & PowerMesh Warp: Powerful advanced compositing nodes.
- Faster speeds: Optimized M1 support & OCIO v2 color management.
- New! Multi-host plugin now included — launch from AE, Nuke, and more.
- New! Lens Correction node
- New! Improved roto shape editing and keyframing tools
- New! Review & approval notes
- New! Improved user interface, movie file support with Gstreamer, and much more
Silhouette 2020.5.7 – 10/09/20
User Interface > Font Size Preference
A User Interface > Font Size Preference was added to adjust the font. This aids in making the text more readable on high dpi monitors.
Note: Setting a larger font size could cause the text to be cut off in certain menus.
Grain Size Smaller Than .5
The Grain > Size went no lower than .5. The minimum size is now 0.1.
Paint Source Shortcut
The paint source shortcut used to select either Foreground or Output as the paint source has been changed to Alt-P.
Edge Snapping Shortcut
The Alt-S edge snapping keyboard shortcut did not work.
Hold Node Frame Value Not Preserved
The Hold node Frame value was not preserved after a project restart. It always reset to 0.
Mac OpenColorIO library
The version of the OpenColorIO library included in the Silhouette Mac app didn’t have the proper signature and could not be found on some systems.
Planar Tracker > Reference Frame
The Planar Tracker > Reference Frame was supposed to display the frame that you first started tracking on and then remain on that frame number. Instead, the frame number continuously changed until tracking completed.
Roto Delete Crash
Silhouette would crash after creating multiple layers and then pressing the Delete icon in the Object List.
Sapphire OFX Issues
- S_Brush, S_Crosshatch, S_RomanTile, S_StripSlide: Presets didn’t do anything in the Sapphire browser.
- S_Effect/S_Transition loaded the image with transparency in the Builder.
- S_Effect crashed after entering and exiting the Builder.
Timebar Frame Markers Didn’t Disappear After Delete
After deleting frames in the Auto Paint window, the frame markers did not automatically delete. You had to drag the Timebar to get them to disappear.
Tree Groups Did Not Minimize
Tree groups did not minimize.
Using DOD Or Crop On FG Before Composite Clipped FG
If a DOD or Crop node was adjusted smaller than the Session size and inserted on the FG input of a Composite node, the FG was cropped.
Trimmed Footage in Premiere Pro Loaded Entire Clip
If a clip was trimmed in Premiere Pro, the entire clip was loaded into the Silhouette Paint plug-in instead of the trimmed clip. This is a Premiere Pro limitation and the issue has been logged with Adobe.
Create Tracker > Center of View
Point Tracker > Create placed the tracker in the center of the screen. If you were zoomed in and panned off the center, you wouldn’t see the tracker that was created. Point Trackers are now always created in the center of the current view when using Point Tracker > Create.
Note: Alt-clicking still adds a tracker wherever you click.
Dragging Past Min/Max Parameter Values
When dragging on a value field with an edit range different than the display range, for example the OCIO Gain control and some Sapphire controls, the value can now be Alt-dragged all the way to the edit range limits.
Python API To Add Dynamic Ports
Added scripting support for dynamic ports.
- node.addPort() – adds a new dynamic input port and returns it, otherwise None if the node does not support dynamic ports.
- node.removePort(port) – removes the port if it is dynamic.
Remove Single Point Shapes In Nuke Export
- When scripting a Nuke shape export, there is now a check for single point shapes.
Trees Window Interaction Rewrite
Trees window interactions were rewritten to solve various bugs.
Silhouette Paint Plug-in
Silhouette Paint is the industry’s first paint and tracking plug-in designed to bring best-of-breed, 32 bit, high dynamic range paint tools to editing and effects applications. Artists can now access Silhouette’s professional sequence-based paint tools inside their host of choice including Adobe After Effects and Premiere Pro, The Foundry’s NUKE, Blackmagic Fusion & Resolve, Autodesk Flame and more. Available on macOS, Windows, and Linux. A Silhouette standalone license can run either the standalone or plug-in.
Cycle Active Node Menu Keyboard Shortcuts
Cycles to the next node in the Node pop-up menu.
Cycles to the previous node in the Node pop-up menu.
Math Composite Node Now Affects Alpha
The Math Composite node can now affect the Alpha channel. A Channels pop-up menu with RGB (the default), RGBA and Alpha are the available choices.
Nodes can be tagged as a Favorite allowing them to be grouped separately in the Favorites tab of the Nodes window. You can tag a node as a Favorite by selecting the node (single click) and pressing the Favorite icon located at the top left of the Nodes window.
Time > Hold Node
The new Hold node repeats the specified frame for the duration of the session. Useful for freezing a single painted frame for a clean plate, among other things.
Auto Paint > Frame Range – New Options
Start>Current and Current>End options were added to the Auto Paint > Frame Range pop-up menu.
Paint Only Alpha
A new Paint Only Alpha parameter in the Paint > Node parameter selects either a hard or soft-edged alpha channel when using the Paint Only output. Previously, a hard-edged alpha was the one and only option.
Paint > Output Unpainted Frames Preference
An Output Unpainted Frames option was added to the Paint preferences. Normally, when using the Paint Only output, only painted frames are rendered. This preference renders the blank, unpainted frames as well, so there is a complete sequence.
Exporting Mocha Tracked Layers as 4 Point Corner-Pin
You can now export a Mocha tracked layer as a 4 point corner-pin.
Point Tracker > Apply Behavior
Tracker > Apply is now enabled with only trackers selected and when clicked, a new layer is created and the tracking data is applied to that layer.
Note: If a layer is selected along with the trackers, the tracking data will be applied to the selected layer.
An unrestricted, 15-day trial license can now be obtained automatically.
A Viewer > Onion Skin mode was added to the Viewer. Onion Skin does a mix, as defined by the Mix value, between the current frame and either previous or later frames. This is useful for creating frame by frame, hand-painted animations.
Stereo Align > Mix Mode
A Viewer > Stereo Alignment Type > Mix preference option is now available for the Viewer > Stereo Align mode.
Silhouette 2020.5 now uses Python 3.
VFX Reference Platform 2020
Silhouette 2020.5 now adheres to the VFX Reference Platform 2020.
Auto Paint – Delete Key
The Delete key now deletes the selection in the Auto Paint window.
Blemish and Grain Brushes Now Randomize
The Blemish and Grain brushes now randomize from frame to frame.
Clone > Red Triangle/Exclamation Point
The red triangle/exclamation point icon in the Paint > Clone tabs was changed to a green dot.
Actions > Copy > Selection Moved/Renamed
Actions > Copy > Selection was moved and renamed to Edit > Copy Selection.
Cursor Position Color Values
The cursor position color values when in the Paint node are now displayed in the Status Bar.
Hide Disconnected Inputs
Disconnected inputs are now hidden from the Paint and Roto View menus.
Zoom Default to Fit
The default zoom is set to Fit when activating a source or Session.
Alpha Only Render Issues
Alpha only renders from Silhouette either crashed when re-imported or couldn’t be displayed.
Freehand Tool In Tracked Layer – Spline In Wrong Place
The Freehand tool was not using the layer transform during shape creation. This could also affect Magnetic shapes in certain cases.
Layer Center Motion Vector Used Layer Center
In the Tracker, when viewing the motion vectors for a selected layer, the center of the layer rectangle was used instead of the layer’s position + anchor.
Flare Editor Crash
Clicking in the Flare Editor Viewer, but not on a control point, caused a crash.
When View > Occlusion was selected with no Occlusion input, Silhouette crashed.
License Window Loop After Deactivation
After deactivating, selecting Cancel cycled between the Silhouette license window and the Boris FX license tool. The only way to stop it was to activate or run in demo mode.
Automatically Created Track Layers Not Really Selected
If you had a selected shape in the Mocha tracker and tracked, a new layer was created, the shape was placed in the layer and it was tracked. After tracking, the layer appeared to be selected, but the track controls were grayed out. To track again, you had to click on the selected layer to really select it and you could then track again.
Mocha Tracker With GPU Enabled In Hi-Res Sessions
The integrated Mocha tracker drifted with the Tracker > Mocha > Use GPU If Available preference enabled.
Mocha Stopped After 5 Frames
The integrated Mocha tracker stopped after 5 frames the second time you tracked using Mocha.
Multi-part EXR File Crash
EXR layers containing only alpha or only two channels caused a crash in the Sources window when set to Thumbnails view.
OCIO Initialization Failure
When using the ACES OCIO config, the OCIO processor would not initialize because the sRGB view was named differently. This could cause a crash on startup.
Align Mode Wrong With Source Match Move
When using Source Match Move, Clone > Align was not positioned correctly.
Clone > Interactive and Region
With Interactive enabled, turning Region on and then off caused Interactive to not work, but the Interactive button was still highlighted.
Clone > Warp Cursor Flashed in Onion Skin Mode
The Clone > Warp cursor flashed while moving it when Onion Skin is on.
Cutout Brush Not Saving
If you painted a stroke with the Cutout brush, the result was not saved on the frames you painted on.
Paint Only – Undo Strokes Appear
Strokes removed with Undo appeared in the Paint Only output.
Arrow Cursor Sticks On – Mac
When using a pen/tablet on Mac, if you slowly moved over a sash, the cursor changed to a split icon and stuck on. You had to hit Esc to get rid of it.
Stroke Tool Not Selecting Paint State
When using the Stroke tool, the associated paint state changes, like brush size and opacity changes, were not selected.
Tracker Node > Black Viewer
When hooking a source into a Tracker node, the Viewer was black until the cache was cleared.
Viewer > Node Selector Pop-up Menu Did Not Open
The Viewer > Node selector intermittently did not open.
Weighted Keyframe Crash
If you there was only 1 keyframe, pressing Alt-K and then OK or Cancel caused Silhouette to crash.
Enable Source > Extend Duration On By Default
Source > Extend Duration is now enabled by default. This means that the head and tail frames of a sequence are extended outside of the work range and that single frame imports exist on all frames.
Timeline > Show Work Range On By Default
Timeline > Show Work Range is now on by default. This allows keyframes set in the work range to be visible when different from the Session frame range.
Legacy Feather Did Not Work
Legacy feathering did not work.
Node Name Error
Certain OFX nodes had legacy naming in the Node window.
Nuke 9+ Exporter Issues
• The Silhouette Motion Blur > Samples value was not transferring to the Nuke Motion Blur > Global > motionblur parameter.
• The Silhouette Shutter Phase value was not transferring to the Nuke Motion Blur > Global > shutter offset parameter.
Open Spline Feather Handles Couldn’t Be Hidden
Alt-F now toggles open spline feather handles on and off.
ROI Keyframes Not Saved With Project
ROI keyframes were not saved with the project.
RotoOverlay Was Opening By Default
The RotoOverlay window was opening by default and was not supposed to.
Shift-Alt Did Not Work For Stereo Align
The Shift-Alt shortcut did not work for stereo alignment.
Viewer Proxy Resolution Problems
The Paint node displayed a cropped image in the Viewer at proxy resolutions.
When Viewer proxy resolutions were used with a Transform node, images of a
different size than the Session were blank in the Viewer.
Copying/Pasting Mocha Trackers & Shapes to Silhouette
Shapes and trackers copied to the clipboard in Mocha can now be pasted into a Silhouette Roto node. Requires Mocha Pro 7.0.2 or later.
Make Disabled Nodes More Obvious
To make it clearer when a node is disabled, there is now an X over the node while disabled.
Mocha Tracker Status Window – Initializing Message
When using the Mocha tracker, an “Initializing” message appears in the tracking status window while the GPU shaders compile prior to tracking.
Paint > Subpixel > Speed Up
Some Paint > Clone brush filters, like Sinc, take longer to process. If there is no transform and no Clone offset, Silhouette will use a fast processing path regardless of the Subpixel setting.
Request a Trial Screen – Removed Host ID
The Host ID was removed from the Request a Trial screen as it was not needed.
Composite Node Crash
The Composite node could crash when working with different sized foreground and background inputs.
Trees Window Won’t Zoom In Until You Zoom Out
You had to zoom out before you could zoom in to the Trees window.
Windows Crash On Startup
Windows could crash or exit unexpectedly during startup.
What’s New in Silhouette 2020:
- Integrated Mocha tracking now included at no extra charge
- New Roto tools: Magnetic splines with edge snapping, RotoOverlay previews and Weighted Keyframe creation to change the timing of shape animations
- New Paint tools: New Dodge, Burn and Detail brushes as well as a frequency (detail) separation workflow for improved retouching
- Improved Planar Tracker: Group tracking of multiple planar surfaces in addition to tracking non-planar surfaces through overlapping shapes
- New nodes DOD and Extract Detail
- New interface enhancements: Multiple Viewers, Node and Object windows; Streamlined Workspace and more
- New bundle options: Add the Mocha Pro plug-in for Silhouette for increased tracking and VFX workflows
The Art of Rotoscoping with Carlos Conceição
Carlos Conceição gives you basic and advanced techniques and tips to take your rotoscoping skills to the next level.More...
Breaking Down the VFX of Wendell and Wild
Watch Breaking Down the VFX of Wendell and Wild on Boris FX Live, Thursday, November 10th at 2 pm EST. Or, catch the archives later.More...
Boris FX Live: New Features in Silhouette 2021 + James Pina
Boris FX Live w Ben Brownlee. Silhouette 2021 sneak peek + special guest artist James Pina (Laika's Missing Link, Kubo and the Two Strings).More...
Silhouette Paint - Quick Focus on Auto Paint
In this tutorial, learn about the Auto Paint workflow and how to run paintwork over time and on moving footage. Auto Paint is the engine that drives Silhouette Paint.More...
Silhouette 2020: Paint and Beauty Work
Beauty work is fast and easy with Silhouette. Improve beauty with tools for tracking, compositing, painting, and cloning. Try a free demo of today!More...
Explore Silhouette and Mocha Webinar Replay
Katie Morris, a digital VFX artist shows how she uses Silhouette and Mocha Pro together to tackle advanced rotoscoping, paint, and more.More...
SilhouetteFX Morphing Overview
SilhouetteFX was created by the developer of Elastic Reality, Perry Kivolowitz. Mr. Kivolowitz contacted me a few days after this article was first published, thanking me for the shout out. He is a Faculty Associate in the computer sciences department at the University of Wisconsin, Madison as well as a partner at SilhouetteFX and was the cofounder and president at both Profound Effects, Inc. and Elastic Reality. I asked him if he would mind elaborating on morphing in SilhouetteFX.More...