Big Screen Effects: Ford v Ferrari #midweekmotivations
I finally saw Ford V Ferrari a couple of weeks and it’s an exciting historical film featuring lots of auto racing. The VFX were seamless in this film and you didn’t even notice them. The VFX teams that worked on the film include Method Studios, Rising Sun Pictures, and others. Below is a collection of articles, interviews, and videos about the film.
First, the Official Trailer…
Watch Christian Bale Burn Rubber in ‘Ford v Ferrari’ | Anatomy of a Scene
The New York Times interviews director James Mangold.
Ford v Ferrari Cameras and Crashes
Studio Daily has a video of how the show’s special effects team got physical action in-camera before getting any kind of VFX assist.
- Ford v Ferrari: How They Shot All Those Cool Racing Scenes. Car & Driver is not a place we share posts from often, but you may find this interesting!
- How They Did It: SFX Supervisor Mark Byers on Getting Ford v Ferrari Automotive Action in Camera
Before And Afters Videos
LeMan’s Track Enhancement
Ford v Ferrari – pod car b-roll
LeMans Crash B-Roll
Previs & Postvis
Halon Studios handled the Previs and Postvis on the film and used Unreal Engine.
- Ford V Ferrari Stylised Previs in UE4 – Mike Seymore at FxGuide talks to Zack Wong, Halon Postvis Supervisor, about Previs with Unreal Engine.
Method Studios and Rising Sun pictures were two of the production companies that worked on the VFX of the film.
- Ford V Ferrari: Olivier Dumont – Overall VFX Supervisor – Method Studios. There is some fantastic before and after images here.
- Rising Sun Pictures Recreates 1966 Daytona Speedway in ‘Ford v Ferrari’. From the Animation World Network. VFX studio builds photoreal replica depicting famous ’24 Hours of Daytona’ racetrack for James Mangold’s thrilling historical auto racing drama.
- VFX on the Fast Track with Ford v Ferrari. This is an article from VFX Voice.
Michael McCusker, ACE, and Andrew Buckland were the editors of the film. They used Avid Media Composer in editing the film.
- Art of the Cut Podcast Eps. 22 (w/ “Ford vs. Ferrari” Editors Andrew Buckland & Michael McCusker, ACE) – Steve Hullfish talks with editors Andrew Buckland & Michael McCusker
- Ford v Ferrari’s co-editors discuss the cut. Oliver Peters at Post Perspective talks to Buckland and McCusker.
Quality sound design can make a good film great and you know Ford v Ferrari had the best.
- PVC Podcast Eps 7: “Ford vs Ferrari” Sound Tech. Gary Adcock, Damian Allen, and Paul McKenna discuss the sound tech of ‘Ford vs Ferrari.
- ‘Ford V Ferrari’ Sound Designers Bring Realism To The Racetrack In James Mangold’s Thrilling Drama — Production Value Video Series. Deadline talks about Oscar nominee director James Mangold and sound artists on Sylvester and David Giammarco about their work on the film.
- ‘Ford v Ferrari’: Redefining the Racing Genre with the Powerful Sound of the ‘Perfect Lap’. Indie Wire.
Posted by Michele Yamazaki