FAQ: Adobe Creative Cloud Info for Mocha Users
Imagineer has put together an FAQ for Adobe After Effects CC users.
The original post is on the Imagineer blog and Ross Shain also posted it to the AE List-serv. We've taken their information and added a few notes.
Q. Is mocha AE still bundled with After Effects? Are there any new features?
A. Yes, After Effects CC now ships with a new version called mocha AE CC.
mocha AE CC is not a plug-in. To launch, select a layer in AE and go to:
Animation > Track in mocha AE
mocha AE CC has been updated with the following fixes and new features:
- support for RED Digital Cinema (.r3d) footage
- new layer grouping & multi-select
- dope sheet for moving, copy/paste keyframes
- transform tool for editing roto splines
- multi-spline selection and modification
- attach layers tool to link points of separate layers
- ability to customize color for mattes & splines
- ability to see individual pixels when zooming
- many bug fixes
Q. Do I need to be connected to the internet to run mocha AE CC?
A. Only for installation. mocha AE CC has the same exact technical requirements as After Effects CC. You can learn more about Creative Cloud here.
Q. Can I upgrade mocha AE CC?
A. Yes. We will accept upgrades from any registered version of mocha AE including those bundled with AE CS4-CS6 and AE CC. Registering your bundled mocha AE CC will qualify you for the reduced upgrade paths to other mocha products.
Note: You only need to subscribe for 1 month to qualify for the upgrade path.
Q. I am interested in upgrading to mocha AE v3.1 OR mocha Pro. What is the difference between the bundled version and what you sell?
A. mocha AE CC includes 2D planar tracking and roto tools for After Effects CC only.
- Upgrading to mocha AE v3.1 for $195 USD adds advanced modules for 3D camera solving, lens distortion and support for Final Cut v7, Boris FX and HitFilm.
- Upgrading to mocha Pro v3.1 adds advanced modules for object removal, stabilization and support for applications such as Flame, Smoke, Scratch, Nuke and more.
View product comparison chart (updated 6/19/2013)
Q. Can I launch mocha Pro from After Effects CC?
A. Yes, you can set mocha Pro or mocha AE v3 to launch from within AE CC. Simply run the first time from start up icon and set the preferences to ” Use this version with AE”. The next time you “track in mocha AE” it will launch the version you selected.
Q. After Effects CC includes 3D Camera Tracking, why do I still need mocha AE?
A. mocha is a planar tracker and uses algorithms that are different than point or camera tracking. After Effects users still find many projects in which mocha is necessary to solve a shot… after all the mocha team won an academy award for tracking! mocha's unique image analysis engine often solves tracks where other trackers fail: tracking objects that go off-screen, objects that are partially obscured, even grainy and noisy footage. Planar tracking is used for screen inserts, digital makeup, set-extensions, assisted roto and much more.
- Webinar: Digital Makeup and Retouching with mocha AE and mocha Pro – Free Webinar: June 26, 2013
- FAQ: Adobe Creative Cloud for Teams and Common Questions
- Need training?
Posted by Michele Yamazaki