New: FabFilter Saturn 2 Distortion and Saturation Plug-in
Fabfilter Saturn 2 has been redesigned and now includes 12 new distortion styles, improvements, and a fantastic new ‘Superb’ High-Quality Mode.
Take your music to the outer limits…
Distortion and saturation play a very important role in music production. From subtle, clean, and warm tube or tape saturation to the wildest multiband guitar amp effects: FabFilter Saturn delivers!
Saturn 2 introduces a host of new features such as a redesigned interface with modulation visualization, new subtle saturation and linear phase processing for mastering, many new distortion styles, and more.
Press Release: FabFilter releases FabFilter Saturn 2 distortion and saturation plug-in
May 19, 2020
FabFilter releases FabFilter Saturn 2 distortion and saturation plug-in
Now available: FabFilter Saturn 2, a major update to our award-winning multiband distortion and saturation plug-in. Saturn 2 sees a top-to-bottom interface redesign for even greater ease of use and visualization, as well as a host of new features and improvements, including 12 new distortion styles, a radically overhauled and expanded modulation system, enhanced envelopes, linear phase processing, and a pristine new ‘Superb’ High-Quality mode.
Beautiful new interface with modulation visualization
Saturn 2 looks better and flows faster than ever. The darker color scheme makes the plug-in easier to look at for extended sessions, and four interface size options and a stunning full-screen mode enable adaptation to any workspace. Modulation is now comprehensively visualized at both source and target, too, with color-coded collars and tracks on knobs and sliders animating in response to modulation input, the source flow area giving an eye-catching overview of all mod signals, and indicators on controls and bands showing which parameters are being modulated at a glance.
More distortion types
Saturn 2 almost doubles the number of distortion styles on board from 16 to 28. ‘Subtle’ versions of the Tape, Tube, and Saturation styles provide low-intensity warming, while four new British (Rock, Pop) and American (Tweed, Plexi) Amp styles perfectly model well-known guitar amplifiers, three Transformer styles (Subtle, Gentle, Warm) open up abrasive new possibilities, and the Foldback and Breakdown FX styles reshape and mutate sounds beyond recognition, the latter combining down-pitching with heavy distortion.
Big modulation changes
With virtually no limit placed on the combination of 16-step XLFOs, Envelope Generators, Envelope Followers, XY Controllers, and MIDI sources that can be used in a preset, Saturn has always been serious about creative modulation, and Saturn 2 takes the whole system to the next level. Curve the Envelope Generator’s Attack, Decay and Release stages for smoother or more aggressive response, activate the Envelope Follower’s new Transient detection mode to tightly track drums and percussion, and route discrete band inputs to both Envelope sources as triggering signals – pulverize hi-hats to the rhythm of the kick drum, for example. The XY Controller’s new Slider mode, meanwhile, slims it down to vertical-only operation, and the XLFO benefits from legato MIDI triggering and targeting of the Frequency Offset and Balance parameters for modulation. And with custom naming of individual mod sources now possible, users can customize their Saturn 2 presets for effortless navigation.
Mastering grade saturation
The new ‘Subtle’ saturation types make Saturn 2 the mastering engineer’s secret weapon, bringing enlivening presence and fizz to final mixes. In order to meet the exacting demands of such mission-critical application, the band crossovers now offer a choice of 6, 12, 24, 36 and 48 dB/octave roll-off slopes, the new ‘Superb’ High-Quality mode switches the plug-in to 32x oversampling for the almost total elimination of aliasing, and the Linear Phase option ensures maximum coherence for the crossovers and High-Quality modes.
- 28 diverse distortion styles, from warming tube and tape saturation to screaming American and British guitar amps. In addition, Transformers, bit crushing, smearing, rectification and more.
- Up to six separate processing bands, with variable crossover slopes: 6, 12, 24, 36 and 48 dB/octave
- Independent Drive, Mix, Feedback, Dynamics, Tone and Level controls for every band
- Two High-Quality modes for 8x and 32x oversampling
- Regular stereo and mid/side processing
- Intuitive interactive multiband display
- Powerful, flexible modulation system. Drag and drop as many 16-step XLFOs, XY Controllers, Envelope Generators, Envelope Followers, Sliders and MIDI Sources as needed
- Full visual feedback of modulation via parameter animation and ‘source flow’
- Linear phase mode for mastering applications
- Four interface size options and full-screen mode
- Carefully curated factory preset library for amp modeling, coloration, lo-fi degradation, and FX
- All the usual FabFilter features you have come to expect. They are perfectly fine-tuned knobs and controllers, interactive MIDI Learn, undo/redo and A/B switch. In addition, Smart Parameter Interpolation for smooth parameter transitions, an extensive help file with interactive help hints, sample-accurate automation, SSE optimization, and more
How to Purchase FabFilter Saturn 2
FabFilter Saturn 2 is now available for EUR 129, USD 154, or GBP 114. It supports both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Saturn 2 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at Toolfarm.
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Saturn 2 with very attractive discounts by logging into their online user account or by upgrading at Toolfarm.
- Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP (32-bit and 64-bit) and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Mac OS X 10.8 or higher (64-bit only) with Intel processor. Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools.
FabFilter wants to make self-quarantine just a little bit easier during the COVID-19 pandemic. In summary, they are currently offering a free 30-day evaluation extensions for all FabFilter plug-ins, including Saturn 2.
Posted by Michele Yamazaki