macOS Catalina Compatibility List and Problems with Some Older Software
macOS Catalina Compatible Plugins
Catalina is 64-bit, so if your plugins and software are 64-bit, they should run just fine. If you don’t see it on this list, don’t worry. It will most likely work if it’s newer. It appears that audio plug-ins may be affected more than video plugins, as far as compatibility. It’s not just the software to consider, but the installers must be 64-bit as well. We expect to see a lot of updates for Catalina compatibility over the next couple of months.
32-bit apps and plugins will stop working. Don’t upgrade to Catalina until you are sure that you are not needing 32-bit apps and plugins.
Adobe Creative Cloud 22.214.171.1242 (CS5) will not run in Catalina but there are newer applications that are affected. For example, Adobe Creative Cloud has many shared components across its product line. They have 64-bit applications with 32-bit installers, which will not work with Catalina. Adobe is working on this. There are a few things that you need to know. Much of this information comes from SetApp.com, so check out their website for more information.
- Photoshop – For trouble-free use, Adobe recommends using Photoshop CC 2019. Old versions of Photoshop are not likely to work in Catalina. Newer versions of Photoshop did have some problems in Mojave so don’t be surprised if some issues pop up.
- Premiere Pro – Premiere Pro CC went to 64-bit in CS4 back in 2008, but there were problems that were reported with Mojave compatibility. Users have reported camera and microphone access problems in macOS 10.15. Dark Mode may bring some problems in Catalina as well.
- After Effects – After Effects went to 64-bit with the release of CS5, but could experience some of the same issues as Premiere Pro.
- Illustrator CS5 – CS5 is 32-bit and won’t work but CS6 should work.
- InDesign – CS5 and CS6 will not work.
- Acrobat Pro – Acrobat DC and Acrobat Reader DC both contain 32-bit components so you will not be able to use it in Catalina.
AEScripts + AEPlugins
If you are getting errors in Catalina, please follow this checklist:
- Check to make sure you are using the latest version of the tool, please do this by either using our manager app or manually in the ‘My Downloads & Licenses‘ section in your user account.
- If you are getting a “plugin cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it” error from a plugin then you need to re-install the plugin using our manager app. Manually installing the plugin will trigger this warning from Apple.
- If you are using the latest version and are still getting an error please open a support ticket so that the developer can update their tool to work in Catalina. Make sure to select the product you are having an issue with from the product dropdown. If you are having issues with more than one product please open a separate ticket for each product as they each go to their respective developers.
Apple Aperture, Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio. DVD Studio Pro, Soundtrack Pro, Color, and Cinema Tools will also not run, but they did not work in High Sierra or Mojave either. Current versions of Final Cut Pro X and Motion software should be a-okay.
Flame Family 2020.2 Update products available on macOS are now certified for macOS 10.15.1.
Support for macOS 10.15.1 comes with the following limitations:
- Wiretap Central and Backburner Web Monitor do not work on macOS 10.15.1 and cannot be installed. Future versions of macOS are not expected to support Wiretap Central or Backburner Web Monitor.
- The AutodeskMediaStorage default location changes in macOS 10.15.1. See the following section, Autodesk Media Storage Location Changes, for details.
Most of our key products should work properly on Catalina. However, you may still expect updates to our products including some feature changes (MixChecker, MixChecker Pro, TNT VE, U73b).
Read the System requirements are displayed at the bottom of the product pages (as TECHNICAL INFO) and on the page where you download the files. If you see …10.15 there, the product is notarized and it will work with Catalina now and in the future.
Pro Tools 2019.12 adds initial support for macOS Catalina. This means that while most Pro Tools functions are supported, compatibility with certain file types is not yet available and will come in a future release. For more information on these limitations, visit Avid’s Catalina support page. You can then decide whether your system and workflow are fully compatible before updating or purchasing a new Mac.
ATEM Switchers 8.0.3 Update – This software update adds support for macOS 10.15 Catalina in addition to general performance and stability improvements for all models.
Desktop Video 11.4.1 – features support for macOS 10.15 Catalina in addition to general performance and stability improvements for all models.
Blackmagic Converters 7.3.4 Update – This software update adds Mac notarization support for Catalina onwards to all Blackmagic Design Mini and Micro Converters.
Blue Cat Audio
They are currently checking compatibility with Catalina. Blue Cat published The macOS Catalina Survival Guide on their blog with tips to help you with the update.
CoreMelt released new installers on 9 October 2019.
All of our plugins have been tested on macOS Catalina and with FCP X 10.4.7. You will need to install our plugins versions dated 9/10/19 or later when you update to Catalina, this update is free for all current users.
As always we advise you to check with vendors of other plugins or hardware you might use before updating to a major new macOS version and to take a full back up of your main drive.
You can download the updates from Coremelt.
Dataclay Templater Pro, Dataclay Templater Bot, and Dataclay Templater Rig were each updated to v2.9.1 on 15 October 15, 2019. The installer is macOS 10.15 Catalina compatible.
Dragonframe 4.1.8 was released on 29 September 2019 and added macOS Catalina fixes and security requirements
Ebberts & Zucker
The most recent updates have been updated to support macOS 10.15 Catalina.
On their forum:
macOS Catalina is still in a beta phase, so we’re waiting on the official release. Of course, we will make our plug-ins compatible with Catalina when it is time!
Film Impact New
Film Impacts Premium Software is compatible with macOS Catalina.
PrimeTranscoder – One of the top new features for the app includes the 10.15 Catalina compatibility.
Plural Eyes 3.5 will not work. We will let you know if we hear of any others that are not compatible. Current versions should have no problems.
With version 7.0.3 all of their macOS installers are now notarized by Apple to ensure a smooth installation on macOS 10.15 Catalina.
RE:Vision Effects updated their whole product line with Catalina-compatibility and a few other updates on 1 October 2019. You can download an update straight from the RE:Vision Effects website.
With 1.1.1b (Current version) on Sep 19, 2019, the notarized installer to make it compatible with macOS Catalina
We are currently looking into our iTunes integration with the developer BETA of macOS 10.15 Catalina. We will continue to update users as we know more.
We strongly advise any Logic Pro X, GarageBand and MainStage users to wait until a resolution is available. In addition, we’d like to remind everyone that Catalina is the first macOS version to fully drop 32-bit support. This breaks many applications that has any use of 32bit code and 32 Lives won’t work with Catalina. However, we will continue to support and sell it for those using earlier macOS versions. If you wish to continue using 32 Lives, please continue to use macOS Mojave or earlier OS versions.
As for our plugins, we have been working with Apple to prepare them for use on macOS Catalina. Once testing is complete and we know there would be no disruption to your creative workflow, we will notify all of our radical users. Until then, please continue to use macOS Mojave or earlier.”
In their user forum:
Until the various teams within Steinberg have been able to test our products properly against the new operating system, I would suggest staying clear of the new operating system if the correct operation of your software is important to you. We will provide detailed compatibility information for macOS 10.15 Catalina when it is released, but not before.
Waves sent out a newsletter saying:
We are working closely with Apple to ensure that our software is compatible and that your Waves plugins and applications will work properly.
However, until we confirm full compatibility, we strongly recommend you remain on your current version of macOS.
In the meantime, please note:
- Waves plugins v10 will open in macOS 10.15 Catalina but are not officially supported.
- Waves’ eMotion LV1 mixer v10 will open in macOS 10.15 Catalina but is not officially supported.
- Other Waves applications (MultiRack, StudioRack, SoundGrid Studio) are not supported and will not open in macOS 10.15 Catalina.
The Video Copilot tools are now macOS 10.15 Catalina ready as of 10 October. You’ll need to log into your account at Video Copilot for the newest installers.
Other software that won’t work
- Microsoft Office 2011 and older
- QuickTime Pro 7
- VMWare Fusion 3.1.4
There’s a long list at Pro Tools Expert that we recommend you check out.
Adobe’s forum has a thread about Catalina and how some 64-bit applications, Lightroom and Adobe XD, in particular, are still having some issues with the Catalina beta. Read more
Adobe Fuse – It will be removed from the Adobe Creative Cloud on 13 September 2020.
How do you check your current software to see if everything is 64-bit?
- Under the Apple Menu (), go to About this Mac, and click on System Report.
- On the list on the left, under Software, click Applications.
- There’s a category across the top named 64-bit (Intel). If it says “Yes”, it’s 64-bit compatible. If it says “No”, it’s not. Click the 64-bit (Intel) in the header and it will sort by “Yes” or “No”. Below, see the image of my System Report, sorted by what is not compatible. There are a few things, but not many in the grand scheme. There are several Adobe items, which I’m sure Adobe will fix, or they don’t matter anyway.
Go64 is free software that will scan your Mac for 32-bit apps.
- The macOS Catalina Survival Guide – Blue Cat Audio has put together tips to help you with the update.
- macOS Catalina – Why It Might Take Software Developers Some Time To Be Compatible With macOS 10.15 – from Pro Tools Expert
- List of supported Macs for macOS Catalina
- macOS Catalina will be incompatible with much of your music software; here’s what to know
- If Your MacOS Catalina Installation Gets Stuck, Try This Fix
Posted by Michele Yamazaki