Update: Substance Painter and Designer v2019.3 is Now Available
Substance Painter has now improved painting and automatic UVs, and Designer brings a better Color Management System, UX improvements and more. Both Substance Painter and Designer are available as part of the Substance Suite.
Substance Painter Winter 2019
All the tools you need to texture your 3D assets in one application. Substance Painter has smart materials, smart masks and integrated bakers, and a state of the art real-time viewport.
What’s new in v2019.3?
This holiday season, Substance Painter is getting game-changing updates on many fronts. From enhanced hand-painting to Automatic UV Unwrapping, a lot of our long-term projects are finally coming to fruition right before the holidays.
Improved Painting Experience
- Photoshop brushes are now natively supported in Substance Painter
- New possibilities with expanded brush settings
- New opacity blending mode
- Improved brush preview
Simplify UV unwrapping
- Automatic UV Unwrapping, available in beta.
- Smooth curves with the new Paint Roller stroke
- New filters and dynamic brushes
- UX improvements: slider consistency
Substance Designer Winter 2019
The industry standard for creating custom materials, Substance Designer gives you complete authoring control. Design tileable textures and patterns, and edit complete texture sets. Use pre-made resources or create materials from scratch in this non-destructive, node-based environment, and take advantage of Designer’s ever-expanding scripting capabilities.
What’s New in v2019.3?
To round out the year with a bang, we’re releasing a major update for Substance Designer. With a leap forward for our color management system, this update also brings UX improvements, a new curvature baker, and a new Atlas tool.
State-of-the-art color management
Use your own OpenColorIO configuration, or an existing one such as ACES, for any material created within Substance Designer.
More control with faster, new bakers!
- A whole new Curvature baker – This new, ray-tracing-based baker is a rewrite of the older ‘Curvature from mesh’. Aside from being faster (of course, relative to your mesh as well as your equipment), the Curvature baker gives you more control.
Improved Ambient Occlusion bakers
- You can now enable the Ground Plane option, which simulates the occlusion coming from the ground.
New Atlas tool
- The new Atlas tool will save lots of time: you just need one single input, and the node does the rest of the work!
- And because Christmas is coming up and we like to do a bit extra, we just released a massive amount of atlases in Substance Source.
- preview mode is visibly faster than before
- Preset management is a lot easier – you can now edit your preset properties!
- when a 2D widget (like the position widget) has a ‘visibleif’ expression, it is now correctly hidden or displayed in the 2D View.
Posted by Kim Sternisha