Physically Based Rendering / PBR Explained for 3D Artists #TutorialTuesday
FlippedNormals gives a nice explanation of Physically Based Rendering. They talk more about what PBR actually is and also about the benefits of PBR. Even though they are is using Substance Painter in the video, they don’t get into the shading aspects of the software. In other words, don’t worry if you don’t use Substance. [Via Lester Banks]
Physically Based Rendering / PBR Explained for 3D Artists
Learn more about PBRs
- The Comprehensive PBR Guide from Allegorithmic – This guide was put together by Wes McDermott and cross-checked by experts in the field. Volume 1: the Theory of Physically Based Rendering and Volume 2: Practical Guidelines for PBR Texturing
- U-RENDER / Substance Workflow – The Substance Workflow tutorial explains how the Substance Designer integration with Cinema 4D to create physically based U-RENDER materials. Speed up your texturing workflow with real-time rendering with U-RENDER.
Need Free PBR Materials Textures?
- Freebie: Textures: Free 4K PBR Moss Material – Pete McNally, Art Lead & 3D generalist, has a free PBR material. Cover ground, rocks, and trees in your next 3D project with this realistic seamless 4096×4096 mossy material.
- Freebie: Textures: Free Seamless PBR Denim Material – Another from Pete McNally. Again, he has designed a free seamless PBR Denim Material, 4096×4096. This one, for example, is great for base/detail passes or close up garments in games or VFX.
- Freebie: Free 8k PBR Textures from Texture Haven – Texture Haven offers 8k, PBR textures. Because of the CC0 licensing, you can use it however you wish.
Want the Mother Lode of PBR Textures and Materials?
Access 1500+ materials. Get Substance.
Substance Source is an ever-growing content library where you can find physically based, high resolution and tweakable assets for texturing. Find assets suited to any type of 3D project at Substance Source… everything from fully procedural materials to physically based scans and hand-painted materials. Download materials every month with the Substance Live monthly payment plan. By the same token, you can make a one-time purchase of Substance Source access (includes 12 months of updates).
Create your own PBR materials
Material Authoring Tool
Substance Designer is the Ultimate 3D Material Authoring and Scan Processing Tool. In fact, it has become the standard in the entertainment industry for PBR material authoring.
Substance Designer is only available in the Substance Suite Pro – Annual Plan
To download a trial version, click on the product page.
Posted by Michele