2.1 u-he Hive
$185.00 From $149.00
Download demos and trial versions, product documentation, free presets and more.
You may download a free Demo after logging in.
Sleek, streamlined, supercharged
Hive 2 is an easy-to-use synthesizer combining u-he’s famous sound quality with a low CPU footprint. The extra modulation features guarantee more fun than ever before.
Hive’s clear layout and easy workflow let you create stunning patches in next to no time at all. Although surprisingly CPU-friendly, Hive doesn’t sacrifice flexibility or audio quality. Now packed with more controls than ever, version 2 opens up new dimensions of expression… and sheer fun!
u-he Hive 2 Highlights
- Low CPU usage, 3 different synth engines
- 2 oscillators with standard waveforms or 2D wavetables, up to 16x unison, tunable sub-oscillators
- Drag & drop modulation assignment
- 12×2 modulation matrix slots with modifiers for curvature, rectification, quantization, sample & hold, slew rate
- 4 user-definable XY control pads
- Arpeggiator, step sequencer with real-time recording
- Unique 8-step shape sequencer with 4 independent outputs
- Scale quantizer with pre-defined list of scales
- 2 function generators which can serve as extra envelopes, gate generators, LFOs, slew limiters
- 7 rearrangeable effects: distortion, chorus, delay, phaser, EQ, reverb, compressor
- Panel presets for oscillators, filters, envelopes, LFOs, sequencer, FX and modulation matrix
- Solo buttons let you audition individual oscillators and filters during sound design
- Scope to view the audio output or any modulation signal, with freeze option and zoom controls
- Microtuning support (.tun files)
- 2000+ NKS-ready factory presets by some of our favourite sound designers, many more available online
- Resizable UI from 70% to 200%
- Alternative Izmo skin
The AAX plugin format for AVID Pro Tools is currently not compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur, so at this time we can not offer Hive 2.1 as an AAX plugin for macOS. If you’re a Pro Tools user on macOS, please use the latest previous version of Hive 2 instead for the time being. Once the AAX format supports macOS 11, we will provide Hive 2.1 for AAX on macOS also.
Underneath its sleek exterior, Hive 2 lets you go as deep as you like. Add movement and life using the shape sequencer, or instantly record, rotate and arpeggiate note sequences. The 12-slot matrix even lets you modulate effect parameters, encouraging you to explore a whole new world of creative options. With its swappable audio engine, flexible signal routing, wavetable support and quality effects, Hive 2 makes sure you can get the sound you want with a minimum of fuss.
How it works
Hive 2 includes Wavetables! These appear as multiple waveforms, and are controlled in the central hexagon. You can manually select wavetables, modulate the wave position via the matrix, or even scan through them automatically using the envelope and loop options (which let you animate wavetables without the need for an extra modulation source).
This panel also offers a Reverse option to flip the wavetable back to front, Cyclic mode for seamless wavetable cycling, and various real-time interpolation methods.
Wavetables can be split into multiple parts (up to 16), effectively creating a 2-dimensional oscillator. For instance, a wavetable with 30 frames can be split into 3 x 10 frames by setting Tables to 3. The lower Position knob will crossfade between those 3. This feature opens up a second dimension of wavetable scanning, such as velocity crossfade or multisample support.
Want to go even deeper? Many of Hive’s factory wavetables are not samples, but “.uhm” files containing scripts written in a proprietary wavetable generation and manipulation language. If you’re interested in writing your own scripts, grab this document (also included in the Hive installer)…
Hive provides 4 different algorithms for interpolating between wavetable frames: switch, crossfade, spectral, or zero phase. The appearance (and CPU usage) of waveforms can differ significantly, depending on the chosen interpolation. The spectral and zero phase modes shift the relative phases of partials differently, while the switch option only shows non-interpolated waveforms.
- Mac OS X 10.9 or newer (including M1)
- Windows 7 or newer
- 1GB RAM, more recommended
- 50MB free disk space
- 1000 × 600 or larger display
- Modern CPU required:
Windows/Linux: Intel Nehalem or newer, AMD Bulldozer or newer
Mac: Intel Nehalem or newer, Apple M1
Linux: glibc version 2.28 or newer
- Host software/DAW
Hive 2 is not a standalone product, it requires host software. Hive 2 is compatible with nearly all DAWs.
AUv2, VST2, VST3, 64-bit only
AAX Mac is temporarily unavailable until native AAX support for Big Sur/Apple Silicon arrives. Pro Tools users should continue working with the previous versions until further notice. (read more)
VST2, VST3, AAX*
* AAX requires Pro Tools 10.3.7 or later
Hive 2 is Native Instruments NKS-ready and compatible with Maschine and Komplete Kontrol hardware.
What’s new in the Performance Update?
Native support for Apple Silicon M1
We saw Apple’s switch to their own CPU architecture as a welcome opportunity to up our game and “go native”, so to speak. After several months of hard work, we have new plug-in versions, all refactored to offer a massive performance boost on recent Macs with Apple Silicon CPUs, especially if your host application has also gone M1-native. This means more instances of your favourite u-he plug-ins!
Users of other computer systems are not left out in the cold: We improved multicore support for Intel-based Macs, and the GUI response is generally smoother on all Mac models. Windows and Linux users also benefit from the following:
- Improved browsers, easy drag & drop soundset installation
- New resource management in Hive means that most presets will use even less CPU
- Support for MTS , a new project-wide microtuning standard
- New designs for Triple Cheese (freeware) and ZebraCM (magware)
- Better overall performance for all plug-ins on all platforms
What’s new in Hive 2.1?
- macOS 11 (Big Sur) compatibility, native support for Apple Silicon (M1 CPU).
- macOS 32-bit support discontinued.
- 100 additional factory presets.
- Simplified soundset installation.
- New smart folder type ‘Bank’: origin of presets or custom collections.
- 4 new filter modes: Comb, Dissonant, Reverb, Sideband.
- 4 new filter modulation targets: Spread, Damp, Ratio, Mix.
- New delay & reverb modulation targets: Pan.
- New Shape Sequencer targets: Position A/B/C/D.
- New shape sequencer option: ‘Halt’.
- New modulation source: ‘Mod Noise’.
- The scope can now display modulation matrix outputs.
- Alternative skin ‘Izmo’ by Plugmon.
- New scale quantizer menu with 15 scale options.
- Improved hold pedal and note-stealing behaviour.
Introduction to u-he Hive #gettingstarted
In this 10 part tutorial series, Ronan Macdonald introduces the basic features and functions in u-he Hive.More...