v5.x Chaos V-Ray for Revit – Perpetual
Upgrade From $395.00
Download demos and trial versions, product documentation, free presets and more.
You may download a free Demo after logging in.
Visualization from concept to completion
V-Ray® for Revit is a versatile visualization toolset that brings you the best of both worlds—real-time visualization and photorealistic rendering. It’s everything all in one. And all in Revit. From beginner to pro, Chaos® V-Ray has all the tools you need to visualize your Revit projects from start to finish.
Free 30-Day Trial
Try V-Ray, Phoenix, Vantage, Cosmos, Player, and Scans for free with a 30-day trial.
Tech support included.
Real-time and photoreal rendering in one.
See your designs in real-time.
Visualizing your Revit projects in real-time has never been easier. Now with V-Ray Vision, you can see your designs in real-time while you work in Revit. Move around your model, apply materials, set up lights and cameras—all with a live real-time view of your model.
Rendering that’s as real as it gets.
See exactly how your project will look. With true-to-life lights, cameras, and materials, rendering with V-Ray is as real as it gets. It’s as close as you can come to the real thing before it’s built.
Bring your models to life.
Choose from an array of high-quality 3D assets—including detailed models of furniture, trees, cars, and people—to bring your project to life. The all-new Chaos Cosmos asset browser lets you easily place render-ready content right into your Revit model.
In fact, V-Ray and Revit are the perfect team.
Revit is the world’s most widely used BIM software for architecture and design. And V-Ray is the world’s #1 rendering software for architectural visualization. The two together are the perfect combination to take your designs and presentations to the next level.
So, what’s new in V-Ray 5?
V-Ray 5 for Revit now includes V-Ray Vision for real-time visualization. An intuitive new Light Mix tool to simplify how you light your model. A new V-Ray Frame Buffer where you can fine-tune and finish your renders. Plus over 650 3D assets you can place in exteriors and interiors.
Real-time in V-Ray for Revit is here.
Speed up your workflow.
With V-Ray Vision, you can enjoy a realistic real-time view of your model while you work. Walk around to get a better sense of your design and make better decisions.
See your design evolve instantly as you apply materials or setup lights, allowing for rapid iterations. Quickly produce pictures and even export 360 panoramas to speed up the approval process. Furthermore, whenever you are ready to present your design to your clients, easily scale your model to photoreal quality.
Enter the Chaos Cosmos.
Elevate your model to perfection.
Now, V-Ray for Revit comes with a brand new curated asset library – Chaos Cosmos, that helps you better tell your story. Easily create a real-world context for your model’s interior and exterior by adding high-quality entourage from the essential categories – furniture, accessories, lighting, vegetation, vehicles, and people.
Search and import straight from within V-Ray and spend zero time on setup – Cosmos assets have accurate physical scale, automatic levels of detail, and are ready to be rendered. Chaos Cosmos provides a consistent 3D content experience across Chaos products and renderers.
Polish renders inside V-Ray.
- Explore lighting like never before. With the new Light Mix feature, you can experiment with all the light sources in your model after you have rendered. Group your lights, tweak their brightness, or change their color to find what best fits your space.
- Post-process inside Revit. Our redesigned Frame Buffer comes with powerful new features that take you beyond just rendering. You don’t need a separate app for compositing or color corrections — they can be handled with V-Ray and saved as presets for future projects.
New workflows for improved efficacy.
- Sketch your ideas with a click. The new global Contours setting helps you give a sketch-like look to your concepts. Apply them to the whole model automatically or use them selectively to highlight certain objects.
- Streamlined Proxy Material setup. We’ve simplified the proxy material assignment process with the V-Ray Asset Editor. Assign materials in the Editor once, save them along with the mesh file and you can reuse this configuration in any project.
- Add realism to Revit materials. – Now Displacement is not limited only to V-Ray materials — it’s an asset of its own that’s easy to apply to native materials.
- Creative freedom with Sun & Sky. – Studying your design’s interaction with natural light has never been easier. With more control over the sky generation parameters and access to our improved sky model, your sunrises and sunsets will never look better.
More realistic materials.
- Randomize textures for realism. Use the UVW Placement asset to randomize patterns and colors of V-Ray materials as they would appear in the real world.
- Coat & Sheen layers. Quickly create polished surfaces of your materials with the new Coat layer. For example, utilize the new Sheen layer to create realistic fabrics such as velvet, satin, or silk.
- Dirt & weathering. Add weathering effects to any surface of your model with the improved V-Ray Dirt texture.
- Improved material library. Save time by downloading our render-ready Material library, containing over 500 high-resolution 4K textures, including glass, metal, wood, and many more.
With V-Ray Vision, you get real-time high-quality visual feedback of your model as you build it. Additionally, you can easily export images or 360 panoramas. Materials, cameras, and lighting set up in V-Ray Vision can easily be scaled to photorealism.
Render-ready 3D assets
Our integrated asset library, Chaos Cosmos, enables you to search and add render-ready objects to your model directly in Revit. To put it simply, with accurate scale, automatic LODs, and interoperability across 3ds Max, SketchUp, and Rhino, Chaos Cosmos assets are an essential addition to any Revit pipeline.
CPU, GPU & Hybrid rendering
V-Ray comes with two powerful rendering engines. You can choose between super-fast GPU and CPU or Hybrid rendering to best suit your project needs and requirements.
The NVIDIA AI Denoiser uses artificial intelligence to remove noise in an instant. To explain, the V-Ray Denoiser supports denoising individual render channels to simplify compositing.
Render interactively while you design. For example, fine-tune lights, materials, and cameras and see the results right away.
Rendering on the Cloud is just one click away.
Powerful and scalable distributed rendering system that’s simple and fast. By all means, get an extra speed boost with V-Ray Render nodes.
Choose from many unique beauty, utility, and matte passes to give you more control over your rendered images in compositing.
Automatically analyzes your scene to optimize rendering so you get the best quality in less time.
Set up individual lighting, mood, and composition per view in the same Revit model. Easily share render settings across teams and projects.
Leave V-Ray to render your project images while you are away. Batch rendering helps you schedule multiple views for rendering with a click of a button.
V-Ray adds extra realism to Revit’s Solar Study. With this in mind, explore and visualize the impact of natural light and shadows on your designs across a variety of timespans.
V-Ray naturally fits into Revit’s UI and complements your Revit workflow without altering your BIM database.
Create, edit, save and manage your V-Ray materials all in one place with the Asset Editor. Assign materials to a new proxy object, save it in the Editor and reuse this configuration in any project.
Take your Revit renders to the next level. With the Appearance Manager, you can set basic Revit assets to automatically switch to more realistic V-Ray assets at render time.
Track the history of your rendered images, fine-tune their color parameters, and save them directly to your Revit project. Use the new layer-based compositor to do color corrections of final renders and save your presets for future projects.
Simulate any type of natural, artificial, or image-based lighting. V-Ray automatically converts all Revit lights to V-Ray ones and further extends Revit’s lighting capabilities.
Experiment and adjust your model’s lighting after you have rendered it. Tweak the brightness and color of individual or groups of light sources to find the best rendition for your space.
This lighting algorithm dramatically speeds up rendering in scenes containing many lights. And you can render image-based lighting much faster with the new Adaptive Dome Light. It’s exceptionally quick for interiors and substantially speeds up your rendering.
Easily visualize real-world illumination values (lux) with the new Lighting Analysis render element.
Sun & Sky
Take advantage of our improved sky model to present your design in its best light when the sun is at the horizon. Alternatively, use the sky generation parameters for full creative control.
Render photorealistic rooms and interiors with powerful and fast global illumination.
Work like a photographer, with controls for exposure, white balance, depth of field, and more.
Auto Exposure and White Balance
Capture the perfect exposure every time. The new Auto Exposure and Auto White Balance camera controls make rendering as simple as point and shoot.
Add that extra touch of photorealism with real-world camera lens effects such as bloom and glare.
Experience your designs at a 1:1 scale. Create content for popular VR headsets with 6×1 cubic and spherical stereo camera types.
DOF and vignetting
Emphasize a particular part of your rendered model with advanced camera effects like DOF and vignetting.
Materials & Textures
Create great-looking materials that look exactly like the real thing.
Download over 500 4K-quality architectural materials from our library on-demand. Glass, metal, wood — any texture you need for your model is available and render-ready.
Native Materials support
Render an enhanced version of your Revit materials automatically.
Add images to paintings, signs, screens, and more. V-Ray Next for Revit adds full support for Revit Decals.
Give your model a sketch-like look. Use the global contour settings to create every outline automatically or the Contour material attribute to highlight a certain region.
Coat & Sheen materials
Use these two new layers to add distinct effects to V-Ray materials. The Coat layer creates polished surfaces while the Sheen layer is perfect for realistic fabrics such as silk or velvet.
Use the UVW Randomization asset to create realistic materials by randomizing patterns and colors. The Stochastic Tiling functionality removes texture tiling seams.
Weathering and Dirt
Easily add weathering effects to any surface of your model with the V-Ray Dirt texture with complete control over its position and amount.
The V-Ray Material adds native support for metallic reflections (Metalness) for greater compatibility with PBR materials from applications like Substance Designer.
Create realistic and unique shaders using any texture map or one of V-Ray’s many built-in procedural textures – Gradient, Temperature, Tri-Planar, etc.
Make the most out of your early designs and get a feel of your project by quickly rendering cardboard models.
Namely,1000+ scanned materials. Import and render directly in V-Ray.
Quickly add realistic atmospheric depth and haze and use true 3D fog with realistic light scattering.
Simply, simulate natural-looking skies with realistic atmospheric depth.
Realistic material light scattering and translucency.
Work smart without altering your BIM database. Use your Revit families as stand-ins for all V-Ray objects.
Use your Revit families as stand-ins for V-Ray proxy objects. These are memory-efficient models of highly detailed objects like trees and cars.
V-Ray Grass & Fur
For example, render realistic grass, carpets, or fabric.
Randomize Proxy Objects
Add variety to your scene entourage such as plants and trees by randomizing the scale and rotation of V-Ray Proxy and V-Ray Scene instances.
Link and render V-Ray scenes from other applications such as 3ds Max, Rhino, and SketchUp. In addition, share complete ready-to-render V-Ray for Revit files.
Quickly add surface detail without extra modeling. It’s perfect for architectural materials like brick and stone.
Render sections easily with full support for Revit’s native section box.
Infinite Ground Plane
Create context for your project with a click of a button.
V-Ray Scene Export
To clarify, share complete ready to render V-Ray for Revit files.
Other Pricing Options
Add Render Nodes
Need more render power? Indeed, see pricing for cost-effective V-Ray Render Nodes.
Render with Chaos Cloud
So, need a supercomputer? Notably, benefit from fast and simple rendering.
Find a render farm
Tight deadline? By all means, find an authorized V-Ray render farm.
V-Ray for Revit – Quick Start: Intro
|Processor||minimum: Intel® 64, AMD® 64 or compatible processor with SSE4.2 support;|
recommended: Intel® 64, AMD® 64 or compatible processor with SSE4.2 support. Larger cache memory, higher memory bandwidth and more cores are better.
|RAM||minimum 8 GB RAM, recommended 16 GB RAM|
|Hard Disk Space||minimum 2GB, recommended 12GB (includes additional downloadable content)|
|TCP/IP||Only IPv4 is supported. IPv6 is currently not supported|
|Operating System||Windows® 8.1, Windows 10, Windows 11|
|Revit||Autodesk Revit 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023|
* CUDA compute capability and card reference
** Autodesk Revit 2018 is not supported on Windows 11
*** Windows 11 is required for running Intel Alder Lake processors.
Official Release, update 2.2
Date – May 11, 2022
- Added support for Revit 2023
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.3.2
- V-Ray Vision updated to version 1.10.07
- Chaos Cloud client updated to version 1.16.3
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2022.05.10
- Swarm updated to version 188.8.131.522
- Added support for Cosmos 3D models containing color randomization
- Removed the Render Progress window in favor of the VFB Log tab
- Migrated the Swarm progress bar to the Swarm tab of the V-Ray Settings panel
- Disabled Scatter Scale randomization by default
- Improved behavior of the Appearance Manager expanders
- The Dome Light Intensity is automatically set to 1 when a Cosmos HDR image is used
- Enabled drag & drop of Scatter assets over the Appearance Manager host slots
- Revit filters are not properly applied to the rendering
- Error in the log when adding Cosmos asset light to the scene
- Unnecessary warning in the log for a missing Scatter plugin
- Purge does not reset edited Cosmos assets and Infinite Ground Plane
- Exception on render start after loading settings of another user
- Crash after moving VFB while Light Gen is generating variants
- Exception when switching Top coat Reflectance of Revit Layered material from Texture to Slider or vice versa
- Crash after clicking on generate variants in LightGen tool
- Unnecessary update when an unused V-Ray material is renamed
- Linked replacements of In-place families are rendered misplaced on linked file moving
- Wall-based accessories sink to the opposite side of the wall when rendered
- 3D models from the Architecture category fail to import
- Unhandled exception when promoting a material of a deleted Cosmos 3D model
- Proxy replacements of families containing nested RPCs are displayed twice
- Crash on rendering start when specific Scatter hosts or guests are used
- Scatter fails to distribute assets over the entire surface of the host
- Scatter disappears when several renders are started consequently
- Scatter Scale Multiplier doesn’t work
- Scatter disappears on Spiral stairs host
- Exception when scattering a Planting guest on a Curtain System host
- Scatter instances are outside the bounds of a round host
- Scatter is not properly rendered when applied to a ceiling
- Proxy mesh material slots are not shown when loaded from a *.vrmat file
- Broken preview and missing textures when promoting a Revit material containing textures
- Revit Layered material promoted to the Asset Editor is broken
- Crash when disabling Proxy Mesh replacement of RPC used as Scatter Guest
- The displayed Scatter configuration is different than the one rendered with V-Ray
- Scale is not respected when a Scatter Guest is replaced with a Proxy Mesh
- Typo in Purge V-Ray Settings message dialog
Official Release, update 2.1
Date – March 17, 2022
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.3.1
- V-Ray Vision updated to version 1.10.05
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2022.3.11
- License Server updated to version 5.5.5
- Hide in View setting is respected for elements from linked files
- Consider Revit’s Show/Hide in View for families not listed in the Appearance Manager
- Added ability to promote multiple Cosmos asset materials at once
- Added separate Light Mix channels for Sun and Dome Light
- Display a single name in Light Mix if both Revit family type and name are the same
- Added Free Flight option for the Fly navigation mode to not be constrained horizontally
- Default shadow quality is set to Medium
- Impossible to load vrmatmigrate.dll exception
- Attempted to read or write protected memory exception when starting a render multiple times
- Revit family replaced with a missing Cosmos asset is not rendered
- Linked replacements are ignored if the main file is new and has not been saved yet
- Cosmos assets are rendered in magenta if a project is opened by another user
- Cosmos wall- and ceiling-based assets are rendered misplaced
- Scatter does not appear on floors with modified sub-elements
- Exception when rendering a Scatter with a Guest family containing nested RPC
- VFB Display correction is briefly reset while preparing for rendering with V-Ray GPU
- Error on render resuming after enabling or disabling DR
- VRMat parser sometimes truncates floating point values when parsing .vrmat files
- IES lights render incorrectly in environment fog
- GPU Light Cache is slower to render with big resolutions
- Rendering crashes after swapping the GPU devices
- Wrong replacements of linked file materials when Merge Identical is on
- Revit family changes are not reflected to the rendering on link reload
- Incorrect rendering on move/undo delete of a linked file instance containing family replacements
- NullReferenceException on undo delete of a Revit family used as a scatter guest
- Cosmos wall-based assets disappear when moving a linked file instance
- Missing Cosmos lights are not rendered after download completes
- The texture associated with Extra Texture channel is incorrectly shown as missing
- V-Ray button in Families tab is offset with 2 px
- Scatter Density texture is not respected on rendering
- Preview is not working after hibernation
- Dropdown menu items occasionally offset themselves by a pixel on each mouse hover
- The 2D and 3D texture preview swatches render black with the GPU engine
- Removed max value limit of the Generic material Refraction Depth parameter
- Some Refraction Depth values are not rounded correctly
- The Appearance Manager UI does not update after using the Revit Links Bind tool
- Family replacements with Cosmos assets are not transferred on import from Project Storage
- In-place family replacements disappear on move with Disjoin option enabled
- Global Purge does not remove Fur, Displacement and Scatter assignments
- Linked files Cosmos lights disrespect the Light Mix grouping and appear in the Rest channel
- Enable vsync to avoid tearing with fast camera movement
- The Fly Mode camera jumps slightly in specific situations
Official Release, update 2
Date – Feb. 2, 2022
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.3.0.
- V-Ray Vision updated to version 1.10.04
- Chaos Cloud client updated to version 1.15.3
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2022.1.31
- Added ability to render and override V-Ray replacements in linked files
- Added a tool for scattering objects on the surface of a selected object
- Added ability to establish a live-link connection to Chaos Vantage
- Added support for the latest RPC API available in Revit 2022
- Added support for the native Revit Undo/Redo commands
- Added ability to edit or replace the materials of a Cosmos 3D model
- Added a Materials category containing over 200 assets
- Added ability to import materials from the Materials category
- Added ability to enable tri-planar mapping on material import
- Light Cache is always calculated on the GPU when the CUDA or RTX engine is selected
- Added support for the Lighting Analysis render element
- Kernel compilation times are reduced by up to 60%
- Added ability to apply color corrections or layer presets to a batch of images
- Added ability to apply color corrections to the Background layer
- Added ability to apply color corrections to all render channels when the image is saved manually
- Added ability to export videos in .webm format
- Added standalone .exe export
- Added Grass preset
- Optimized loading and performance of scenes containing large number of objects
- Rendering is stopped when there is no user interaction to decrease the GPU load
- Added support for IES and spot lights
- Added Ambient Light Mode within the built-in Settings panel
- Added Ambient Light Intensity slider
- Added Soft Shadows (available when the Shadows Quality is set to High)
- Added support for Revit’s Solar Study
- Temporal anti-aliasing is automatically disabled during animation playback to prevent ghosting artifacts
- Added temporal screen space reflections
- Added support for the Coat layer of the Generic V-Ray material
- Added ability to hide the Vision toolbar
- Added navigation via the arrow keyboard keys
- Added camera up/down control via the PageUp/PageDown keyboard keys
- Reorganized the Output panel options
- Updated various tooltips and parameter labels
- Added automatic resizing and a scrollbar to all parameter panels
- Improved auto exposure behavior
- Added automatic scene reloading when High-quality Cosmos Assets is enabled
- Improved panorama image export
- Improved error message when Vision fails to initialize
- Set the default state of the Tonemapping Curve to Disabled
- Optimized deletion of large asset sets
- Added thin-walled option to the Generic material Refraction parameters
- Removed Hard (wax) and Hybrid Fog Scattering models
- Renamed Fog Scattering to Translucency
- Added SSS and Volumetric modes to the Generic material Translucency
- Renamed Fog Multiplier to Depth/Scale which change based on the selected Translucency type
- Color Space (sRGB or Linear) for bitmaps loaded in any of the Generic material layer slots is set automatically
- Improved connection with the material preview rendering process
- Added Thin Mode, Ignore Bump and Streaks Density options to the Dirt texture
- Extended the Curvature texture with new parameters
- Renamed Objects tab to Families
- Split Families tab into 3 sub-tabs
- Removed By Origin filter from the families filter options
- Added a filter to distinguish edited from non-edited Cosmos assets
- Replaced bottom tab Scale/Rotation spinners with numeric fields
- Moved the Pick Material button to the search bar
- Renamed Improved sky model to PRG Clear Sky
- The V-Ray Vision icon has been updated
- Improved the output of log messages on DR nodes adding
- Disabled interactive actions with Proxy Scenes
- V-Ray is disabled on Undo actions executed immediately after acquiring a license
- Issue with linked project replacements disappearing on link reloading
- Issue with the auto-save path validation
- InvalidOperationException when V-Ray fails to add DR Nodes due to bad connection
- InvalidObjectExceptionProxy when linking an existing project into brand new one
- V-Ray Core exception in case of a missing Generic material parameter
- Issue with rendering stop at 50% with custom resolution and Hybrid mode enabled
- Issue with black rendering after VRayPlugins.json is migrated from old format
- Error when exporting to Cloud with all render channels enabled
- Issue with invalid version warning after a linked file has been updated and open in a fresh Revit session
- Windows 11 issue where V-Ray fails to utilize more than 64 threads
- Issue with bump maps appearing reversed when viewed in reflections
- Fixed the Proxy category label in the Paths & Sharing tab
- Issue with Artificial Light Overrides not being updated if Artificial Lights are reenabled
- Issue with visibility of light sources when Cosmos lights are hidden
- ‘An item with the same key has already been added’ error
- Null exception on Cosmos replacements import from an .xml file
- Issue with Fur applied to a Revit family remaining on rendering if the family is replaced with a V-Ray geometry
- Issue with Cosmos light sources scale disrespecting the objects scale
- Exception with Light Mix and Cosmos lighting fixtures
- Issue with disappearing objects when Cosmos replacements are imported from .xml
- Issue with Cosmos 3D models having a single material ID color
- Issue with Interactive not restarting after missing assets download is complete
- Issue with interactive updates on Cosmos-mapped Revit family deleting
- Issue with Selection Type not updating when picking families in the list
- Issue with family replacements restoring in case of multiple selection
- Issue with Use Mtl Override setting of proxies not being applied
- Issue with labels overlapping of UV Placement Source and UVW Placement
- Issue with purging of materials assigned to the infinite plane in View-Specific mode
- Issue with Use as Replacement option not working when a material is applied to the infinite plane
- Issue with interactive updates on Can be Overridden setting disable
- Scrolling issue on systems with custom UI scaling after selecting an asset from a long list
- Issue with deleting Bump attribute leading to child textures instantiated in other material slots being also deleted
- Issue with Reflection Glossiness of Metallic materials not working when the Reflection color is not white
- AccessViolationException after CUDA is out of memory
- Issue with GPU Light Cache leading to a memory leak
- Issue with Light Mix not working correctly with Camera Auto Exposure
- Issue with black artifacts when lights are disabled in Light Mix
- Issue with blocked render restart immediately after .vrscene export
- Issue with rendering button not working on press
- Issue with proxy meshes remaining on rendering after replacement is disabled
- Issue with various replacements not being applied correctly
- Issue with Flip Axis of Proxy Meshes not updating during live-link
- Issue with Auto Exposure not being applied when exporting standard or VR images
- Issue with sunlight artifacts when the model is viewed from specific angles
- Issue with transparent (and refractive) materials and specific mesh normals
- Issue with Cancel in the Save File browser window resetting the file type to .png
- Issue with Camera movement while dragging UI sliders
- Issue with ghosting artifacts appearing over transparent object when the camera is moved quickly
- Issue with bump and normal maps appearing flipped
- Issue with the entire model being flipped when zooming in an ortho camera
- Issue with plugins containing non-latin character being incorrectly loaded
- Issue with Proxy Scene objects being misplaced
- Issue with tri-planar textures appearing darker
- Issue with supported files not being listed correctly in the Save File browser window
- Issue with choppy camera movement in fly navigation mode with low fly speeds
- Issue with dark circles appearing on surfaces close and under the camera in specific situations
- Issue with Cosmos assets being cut when away from regular scene objects
- Issue with API servers list in config.json not being cleared after Revit is closed
- Issue with GPU device names being cut in the GPU engine drop-down
Official Release, update 1.2
Date – Sept. 17, 2021
- Argument exception in Worksharing when enabling V-Ray if users have worked with different versions
- Fixed broken replacement of multiple selected Revit families
- Fixed performance issue and excessive logging on Fur or Displacement assignment to multiple materials
Official Release, update 1.1
Date – August 26, 2021
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.2.1
- V-Ray Vision updated to version 1.00.08
- Chaos Cloud client updated to version 1.13.2
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2021.08.23
- Handled disabled state of Revit filters
- Improved toolbar button behavior
- Promoted Revit material appears automatically selected
- Added filter to display only Prism materials in Materials tab
- Modified alignment of Promote material button in Appearance Manager
- Improved some tooltips behavior
- Argument exception in Worksharing if multiple users import the same Cosmos asset
- “An item with the same key has already been added” exception in Interactive
- Exception when migrating VRayPlugins.json file from an older V-Ray version
- UI dialogs fail after reloading linked files
- Wrong materials renaming during Light Gen variants generation or vrscene export
- Unreferenced plugins left after promoting an AutoGen material
- Library does not display placeholder thumbnails of vrmat assets
- Asset preview renderer randomly fails
Official Release, update 1
Date – July 14, 2021
V-RayⓇ 5 for Revit, update 1 gives you powerful new capabilities at the click of a button. Automatically generate hundreds of natural lighting scenarios for your model with Light Gen. Convert Revit materials to V-Ray materials for advanced realism. Send multiple views to the cloud to render while you keep modeling. And more.
- Batch Rendering in Chaos Cloud
- Integrated Light Gen tool
- Promote AutoGen Revit Prism material to Asset Editor
- Implemented Public API based on gRPC
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.2.0
- License Server updated to version 5.5.4
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2021.07.14
- Set scene_name for Cosmos asset Node plugins in vrscene export
- Utilize option_use_roughness in all Prism AutoGen materials
- Textures assigned to anisotropy parameters of Revit Prism materials are not rendered
- Enable Glossy Fresnel for all AutoGen materials
- Changed default Bitmap Filter Type from Mip-map to Sharp Isotropic
- Use linear color space for Dome light image
- Extended Aerial Perspective settings
- Pick material button is greyed out while material picking is in progress
- Irrelevant sky parameters are greyed out based on the selected sky model
- Improved display names of Cosmos assets in the replacements drop-down
- Crash when closing Revit with multiple open projects
- Cosmos assets disrespect Revit mirror tools when rendered
- NullReferenceException raised during export of a scene including Cosmos assets
- InvalidOperationException when stopping the render from VFB
- Wrong positioning of V-Ray Proxy Scenes when replacing in-place family instances
- Rendering is noticeably slowed down in case of specific proxy mesh references
- Batch Rendering fails if V-Ray scene Export As Archive option has been enabled
- Wrong replacement restored after disabling V-Ray Proxy Mesh/Scene and Cosmos asset replacements
- RPCs not rendered when being replaced with Cosmos asset in a linked project
- Linked project Proxy Mesh replacements are rendered instead of those defined in the main document
- Linked project Global Overrides are rendered instead of those defined in the main document
- Materials referred by material extensions are not listed as sub-assets in the outliner
- Prism Opaque translucency and cutout render incorrectly with V-Ray
- Inner edges are not visible when opacity is added to V-Ray Toon material
- Crash when moving Revit family instance replaced with V-Ray Scene asset
- NullReferenceException on V-Ray Global Purge
- Linked projects lights are not affected by the Global Light override updates and the Artificial Lights On/Off switch
- Missing updates if Revit family instances are replaced with Cosmos asset after rendering start
- RPCs disappear when replaced with Proxy Mesh and a global proxy override is applied
- Appearance Manager does not update when a material is renamed in the Asset Editor after Interactive is stopped
- Unable to select Revit family replacement in Appearance Manager Objects tab after disabling V-Ray Proxy Mesh/Scene and Cosmos asset replacements
- Wrong button state after disabling Cosmos asset replacement in Appearance Manager
- Objects replacement drop-down menu blinks when restoring a V-Ray Proxy Mesh/Scene assignment
- Incorrect Selection Type indicated on replacement with V-Ray Proxy Mesh asset without mesh file specified
- VFB window is duplicated when showing it with the toolbar button before rendering
- Appearance Manager does not refresh when renaming a family type in Revit Project Browser
- Typo in Host app version screen
- V-Ray installs for all supported Revit versions no matter which one is present
Official Release, hotfix 4
Date – May 25, 2021
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.1.3
- V-Ray Vision updated to version 1.00.06
- Chaos Cloud Client updated to version 1.12.0
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2021.04.22
- V-Ray Swarm updated to version 1.4.6
- Decreased material library size to ensure faster downloads
- Decreased browser window width
- Crash after renaming and updating a V-Ray material used to override multiple Revit materials
- Cosmos asset materials are lost when imported into a linked document in several cases
- VASSERT message shown by the installer when V-Ray Materials Library Download Path registry key is missing on the system
- Issue with material library download message appearing incorrectly
- Issue with materials duplicating when using square bracket symbols on renaming
- Incorrect results when Refraction Glossiness of Generic material is set below 0.78
- Incorrect results when UVW Placement source is combined with Normal displacement mode
Official Release, hotfix 3
Date – April 22, 2021
- Support for Revit 2022
- Added Post-effects Update parameter to Settings Renderer tab
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.1.2
- Chaos Cloud Client updated to version 1.11.0
- Chaos Cosmos Browser updated to version 2021.04.12
- SevenZipSharp library replaced with System.IO.Compression.ZipFile
- Improved automatic conversion of Revit PrismMetal material
- Added support for Cosmos lights switching in Revit Artificial Lights dialog
- Added Intel Open Image Denoise to Denoiser engines
- Stereo mode is ignored when exporting to Chaos Cloud
- Cut Cosmos assets names in Objects tab and adjusted alignment
- Removed the automatic selection of render channels when Denoiser is enabled
- Improved the Denoiser/Lighting Analysis Update button style and behavior
- Removed Denoiser Use GPU parameter from the UI
- Null exception when exporting a vrscene containing Cosmos lights
- Issue with RPCs not rendering after a silent installation of Revit 2020
- InvalidOperationException when disabling V-Ray while Interactive is running
- Scale, Rotation and Randomize of assets are not saved to project storage
- Exception on attempt to render linked file assets which IDs duplicate with those of the host project
- Family geometries replaced with Cosmos assets remain visible on rendering when in linked file
- Missing updates when deleting a global texture from Displacement
- Rendering does not update correctly on material renaming
- Global Override is not properly applied on Revit family replacement with Cosmos asset
- Issue with migration of layered materials from V-Ray 3.x
- Warnings during migration of Texture material from V-Ray 3.x
- Broken global material overrides migration from V-Ray 3.x in case a specific environment variable is present
- Displacement is not applied after project reopen
- Denoiser presets appear incorrectly in VFB
- Drop-down UI of Appearance Manager filter does not refresh on filter reset
- Wrong Selection Type when only unmapped Revit families are selected in the Objects tab of the Appearance Manager
Official Release, hotfix 2
Date – April 9, 2021
- TypeInitializationException on V-Ray enabling due to failed loading of System.Runtime.CompilerServices.dll assembly
- An error is shown and V-Ray cannot be enabled if Cosmos asset version number in the imported Revit Family is missing or invalid
- UI is blocked when many Cosmos assets have been added to the project and some of them are missing and must be downloaded.
- Missing Cosmos assets indicator in toolbar is visible after all assets have been downloaded
Date – Feb. 23, 2021
- Integrated Chaos Cosmos 3D content browser
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.1.0
- License Server updated to version 5.5.2
- Chaos Cloud Client updated to version 1.8.1
- V-Ray Swarm updated to version 1.4.5
- Added new version notifications
- Redesigned V-Ray settings storage mechanism
- Improved Worksharing (multiple users can work in the Asset Editor)
- Make Chaos Cloud client app installation mandatory and add check for version downgrade before triggering installation
- Changed the default value of GPU Resize Textures parameter in VRayPlugins.json to 0
- Added drag-n-drop of assets from Asset Editor to Appearance Manager
- Added config.json option for material library download path
- Added config.json option for disabling material library updates check
- Added Stamp layer
- Added Shortcuts editor to VFB Settings panel
- Modified changelog format and added link to it in the Windows Start menu
- Added ability to lock Background to use the image assigned to the Dome Light
- Improved automatic exposure handling
- Added screen space reflections for transparent materials
- Added temporal image anti-aliasing
- Added support for V-Ray Material’s Clip opacity mode
- Added support for V-Ray Tri-Planar textures in One Texture mode
- Added support for Stochastic texture tiling of the UVW Placement map
- Removed Super Sampling option from the Image Export panel
- Added Frame Delay option to the Image Export panel
- Added High Quality Cosmos Assets option to Vision Settings panel
- Added Shadows Quality preset to Vision Settings panel
- Added support for V-Ray Sun Size parameter
- Failed to get RenderingAssetManager exception on project initialization
- Wrong transfer of materials during Worksharing
- Null exception when assigning a proxy mesh to a furniture family
- Mapping is lost after a proxy mesh is deleted and another one is renamed to match it
- Blend, Bump and Toon Override do not handle correctly slotted materials starting with underscore
- Temperature texture’s Kelvin slider has incorrect min. value
- Adding Translucency attribute to a material breaks Raytrace Properties settings on GPU
- Warnings received while starting Interactive rendering with Swarm
- Grey out Fur/Displacement indicator when the geometry is disabled in Asset Editor
- VFB Settings panel fails to show
- Show VFB button does nothing after Vision was stopped
- Attempted to read or write protected memory exception while applying camera updates during Live Link
- Issues with Multi Material assignments
- Responsivity issue when picking an output image file location twice in a row
There is a known issue that is caused by Revit application when using V-Ray for Revit and reproducible only in Revit 2021. When opening a project that has never been saved with V-Ray for Revit, or when starting a project from scratch, enabling V-Ray and then opening another project with an existing V-Ray storage (i.e. V-Ray settings) leads to the following error message:
There are two workarounds to counter the problem.
Workaround 1: Save the first project with V-Ray and then open the other one.
Workaround 2: Change the order of opening the projects and open the one that has V-Ray settings first.
Date – Dec. 3, 2020
- Asset Editor updated to version 2.0.1
- License Server updated to version 5.5.1
- Chaos Cloud client app updated to version 1.7.8
- Redesigned installer
- Implemented V-Ray Vision real-time viewer
- New V-Ray Frame Buffer (VFB2) with layer compositor
- Integrated Light Mix channel
- New toon workflow via global & per material Contour settings
- New and improved Quality presets
- Optimized transactions handling in Extensible Storage
- Exposed Sky settings
- New V-Ray 5 Improved sky model
- New Displacement workflow
- New Proxy Mesh & Proxy Scene workflow
- Added GPU asset preview mode
- Changed how the visibility of Asset Editor windows is determined
- Redesigned to accommodate the new workflows
- Added search bar ability to filter materials by Revit identity Class
- Added search bar ability to filter family items by Category
- Added support for Site and Specialty Equipment categories
- Displayed Revit families hierarchically
- Disabled material assignments are persisted on project reopen
- Added navigation history for randomized objects’ seed
- Camera Auto checkboxes are unselected and disabled during Interactive
- Added Coat layer to Generic material properties
- Added Sheen layer to Generic material properties
- Added built-in Bump layer to Generic material properties
- Removed Glossy Fresnel from the UI. It is enabled by default for all materials
- Removed Normal opacity mode
- Removed PBR material as well as PBR layer from the Add Layer menu
- Exposed Metalness and Roughness options as part of Generic material properties
- Removed Highlight Glossiness parameter from Generic material properties
- Added blue highlight to UI rollouts indicating whether corresponding parameters contribute to the look of the material
- Deprecated Displacement material attribute (will be removed in the future)
- Added UVW Placement texture for UV randomization and stochastic texture tiling
- Added randomization options to multi-sub texture
- Added external Mapping Source to texture placement Type
- Added Streaks to Dirt texture
- Added support for .tx file format as part of Bitmap textures
- Added random colors for the slots of the Multi-Sub texture
- Added support for 2D Displacement
- Added support for Cellular textures
- NullReferenceException when rendering a family
- Exceptions in projects referring to invalid file paths when acquiring a license
- Switching Current View hangs in case of inaccessible network path to textures
- Grpc.Core exception when opening existing projects one after another
- Issue with invalid floating point numbers
- Issue with vrscene export using temp paths for .ies files
- Revit hangs when opening Settings panel in Interactive
- Issue with global purge not affecting mapping
- Unnecessary update when opening Appearance Manager
- Scrollbar disappears from Renderer tab on sub-sections expanding
- Various textures exported to .vrscene don’t render in Lavina or Standalone
- Lighting Analysis horizontal and vertical grid spacing are swapped
- Material changes are not respected when restoring the assignment in Appearance Manager
- Objects list does not refresh on family category change
- Material Transforms Rotation box & spinner accept values but 1
- Proxy scale spinners are causing min scale to be larger than max scale
- Hide Decals causes the global bump to partially disappear in Interactive
- Wrong positioning of proxies when replacing in-place families
- Fixed an issue with marble textures
- Materials using UVW Placement instance for several textures produce incorrect results when duplicated
- Swapped slots in TexFresnel UI
- Redundant command in the Geometry assets context menu
- Inverted Roughness/Glossiness value when disabling a texture plugged in the same slot
- Simple Mix textures fail to load when opening a previously saved .vrmat
- The UVWGenRandomizer mode values are incorrectly set
V-Ray Next, Update 1.1
Date – June 18, 2020
Download – Build 4.10.02
- V-Ray Swarm updated to version 1.4.4
- License Server updated to version 5.5.0
- Improved compatibility with Project Lavina
- Improved Revit transactions handling in Extensible Storage
- Use relative paths for textures when saving out an asset as .vrmat
- Added ability to reset Appearance Manager filters to default on right-click
- FilteredElementCollectorProxy exception in models upgraded to Revit 2021
- V-Ray stops working when an external asset is added to the project
- The sequence contains more than one element exception
- Assets don’t update on Sync to central
- Users disappear from Project Storage UI after Sync to central
- Adding rendering hosts fails when using RTX engine
- Purge command does not affect Fur and Textures
- Creating Fur triggers saving of unrelated materials
- Null exception in GetSceneId when closing multiple projects at once
- Update Appearance Manager filtered items when importing settings
V-Ray Next, Update 1
Date – May 13, 2020
Download – Build 4.10.01
- Added support for Revit 2021
- Asset Editor updated to version 1.0.2
- License Server updated to version 5.4.0
- Chaos Cloud client app updated to version 1.7.1
- Added ability to save view-specific V-Ray settings
- Added support for RTX GPU devices
- Implemented Batch Rendering
- Improved Interactive performance when modifying materials
- Added support for Revit animated Solar Study
- Optimized export of IES files
- Added ability to review and transfer auto EV & White Balance values
- Modified Fur workflow/Adding Fur moved to the Materials tab
- Added Pick Material tool
- Added ability to filter materials by V-Ray Fur assignment
- Added ability to create V-Ray Fur
- Added Sharp Isotropic filter to bitmap filter types
- Library materials migrated to the latest version with optimized shader structure
- Optimized performance when deleting materials
- Removed Translucency attributes option from SSS and Blend materials
Added ability to purge all V-Ray data from within the Revit project
- Redesigned Current View selector
- Renamed Acquire/Release License buttons to Enable/Disable V-Ray
- Reduced Geometry Tessellation sliders to one
- Rendering of Revit families (.rfa files) causes an exception
- Resolution Width/Height are calculated twice when selecting a new 3D View
- Wrong output in Current view list after a view is deleted in a work shared project
- Exception in AppGlobals when retrieving ActiveRevitDocument
- Exception when acquiring license after Save As
- Unhandled exception when entering random characters in the View Selector
- InvalidObjectException when getting data from Extensible Storage
- Fur settings reset to default on project reopen
- Specific settings appear in the default list even though their values are default
- Missing interval in default RGB color values requires an additional reset to default
- Some geometries disappear after adding steel connections
- Some Revit duct system elements render in a wrong material
Displayed family type is multiplied when syncing work shared projects
- Version 8 vrmat file is not correctly imported from file
- Deleting assets does not function in succession
- Displacement attribute disappears after renaming a material
- Enabling Artificial Lights Overrides during Interactive crashes the renderer
- Expanding image preview reverts the Dome Light image to default
Auto EV and White Balance affect Interactive rendering
- Wrong export when copying Revit links during interactivе
- Wrong positioning of proxies when in nested Revit link
- Disabling Can be overridden does not work when override is enabled
- Vrscene geometries appear after Reveal Hidden Elements is enabled
- Show/hide overriding V-Ray object based on corresponding Revit element state
- RPCs are exported twice on Interactive rendering start
- Wrong result on GPU when turning Environment Light off
- The image is saved to the active project instead of the corresponding one
- Render Last fails to re-export Revit data when project context has been changed
- Fixed behavior of three-state checkboxes
- Selected user label remains after settings import from Project Storage
- Leap in Camera window width when White Balance is set to Incandescent
What’s new in version 4
- Updated the Chaos Cloud client app installer to version 1.6.2
- Implemented log rotation (last 10 log files are kept)
- Asset Browser renamed to Appearance Manager
- Added scale settings to Proxies materials
- Ability to lock Width and Height of materials
- Expand Revit material names when expanding the window horizontally
- Increased width of V-Ray materials drop-down
- Focus Source is switched automatically after Pick Focus Point has been selected
- Exception with DefaultSettings.xml becoming unaccessable/being used by another process
- Exception on attempt to render .rfa files
- VRayExtensibleStorage exception Material Plugins already contain <plugin name>
- Fields that use the project units are not properly updated
- Modifying assigned materials doesn’t cause an update during Interactive Rendering
- Asset Editor is minimized when Render Progress window is minimized
- InvalidOperationException/No process is associated with this object
- Creating Blend material with Bump produces incorrect material plugins
- Textures’ UV Channel parameter is not properly updated during Interactive Rendering
- Select all/none tags does not update the tags highlights
What’s new in version 3.7:
Fully interactive rendering
- Now with support for live geometry changes, you can render your full scene while you design.
Revit 2019 support
- Now compatible with Revit 2019 and its new Opaque, Transparent, Metal and Layered material types.
What’s New in Verion 3.6:
Updated and streamlined interface for a more intuitive, user-friendly workflow.
V-Ray GPU running on NVIDIA CUDA can now take full advantage of all available hardware, including GPUs and CPUs.
Faster scene export
With our new optimizations and smart caching, translation and rendering of complex scenes is now up to 4 times faster.
The new Asset Browser now includes materials and proxy objects, and allows you to select and edit multiple items at once.
Filter maps by linked files
Filter materials from linked projects separately from project materials.
Improved Color Material
The Color Material now includes options for transparency, glossiness and reflections.
Global Material Overrides
Improved user interface with new option to override RPC materials.
ArchVision RPC objects can be used as stand-ins for V-Ray proxy objects in your Revit scene to render high resolution models of trees, cars, people and other entourage.
V-Ray Grass & Fur
Render realistic grass and fur.
Infinite Ground Plane
The Infinite Ground Plane includes new global override controls, an improved UI, and is supported in interactive rendering mode.
AutoGen materials are now supported in interactive rendering mode.
Improved Settings sharing
A new UI makes it easy to share settings between projects and users, including importing settings by category.
Improved Standalone Material Editor
A new color picker, and new gradient and color temperature texture maps have been added to the Standalone Material Editor.
Improved V-Ray Frame Buffer
Copy the entire frame buffer image to the clipboard, including background and color corrections.=-
In Depth: Why Should I Use V-Ray?
V-Ray is a powerful 3D rendering system that was built for designers, architects, and jack-of-all-trades. Learn about how artists use V-Ray.More...
Introduction to V-Ray Next Compilation
This is a compilation of the Introductory tutorials for V-Ray Next including 3ds Max, Revit, Sketchup, Rhino, Unreal, Modo and Houdini. Most of these tutorials also have downloadable assets.More...
Introduction to V-Ray Next for Revit
This video tutorial covers the basic workflow of rendering a simple scene with V-Ray for Revit.More...
V-Ray for Revit Tutorial Series
There are 13 videos in this series. You can either watch them one by one or use the menu on the upper left of the video player to choose your topic. Subjects include: Getting Started, V-Ray Swarm, Interior Lighting, Exterior Lighting, Materials and more.More...
Setting up a Remote Dongle Server for V-Ray
“If you’re a V-Ray user, there’s no doubt you get a bit paranoid about losing your dongle, especially when out in public.” - Dave GigardMore...