v2 Slice it Up
Download demos and trial versions, product documentation, free presets and more.
You may download a free Demo after logging in.
Procedural and non-destructive way to slice your footage in After Effects
renderTom Slice it Up is a procedural and non-destructive way to slice your footage in After Effects. It’s also available for Illustrator and Cinema 4D.
Slice it Up is a tool that cuts footage into any number of slices by duplicating it N times and applying random width masks to it. Those pieces are brought into one composition later and laid one over another to create an undistorted image. The tool provides controls to set random or linear offset to X, Y and Z position for each slice, adjust the expansion and rotation angles for the mask.
One of the most flexible things that Slice It Up provides is the ability to randomise slices in the UI panel at any time. If you don’t like the width of your slices and feel like a change up, just randomise them in UI. If randomised position is not your taste, re-randomise it at any time without loosing your keyframes even after closing and opening the project.
While those buttons regenerated a new seed for width or position, button “<” will take one step back and regenerate previous seed value. This way you are free to skip through possible options and find a look that fits you best.
- Unlimited number of slices,
- Works in 2D and 3D space.
- Randomise width or height at any time,
- Randomise slice distribution at any time,
- Randomise slice axis direction,
- Random or linear slice distribution in space,
- Generate previous seed to get that perfect look,
- Shrink or expand slice mask.
Select a layer you wish to slice, enter desired value for slices, and click a button. Sit back and watch the magic happen.
After slicing is finished you will see new composition that has Slice it Up effect controls attached to it. Parameters like X/Y/Z Offset are meant to be animated. Choose between linear and randomised offset for those values. Combining them together with Rotation and Expansion will result in great and unique animation.
You have the ability to randomise slices right in the UI at any time. If you don’t like the width of each slice and want to have it different, hit “Randomise Width/Height”. If distribution of the slices is not your taste, re-randomise them at any time without losing your keyframes even after closing / opening the project.
Looking for more info about the tool? Find it in User Manual.
After Effects 2021, 2020, CC 2019, CC 2018, CC 2017, CC 2015.3, CC 2015, CC 2014, CC, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4
2.1 – Nov 18, 2019
– Support for MacOS Catalina
What’s new in v2?
New in User Interface:
- Toggle slice axis (random, directional, bidirectional),
- Invert slice axis direction,
- Toggle Horizontal / Vertical slice alignment,
- Toggle 3D/2D at any time,
- Change “Container” mode at any time.
New in Effect Controls:
- Always uses Pseudo Effect,
- Groups linear and random offsets,
- Adds option to control slice Expansion: Height.
- Completely rewrites code,
- Optimised expressions,
- Drops CS3 support (anyone uses CS3 these days?).
RenderTom Slice It Up Tutorial #gettingstarted
Learn how to use Slice It Up for After Effects as a procedural and non-destructive way to slice your footage in After Effects. Easily customize and randomize the slices.More...
MotionMonkey and Slice It Up Tutorial
In this tutorial Orrin Zucker will teach you how to create a cool effect with sliced up images by using MotionMonkey and Slice It Up in Adobe After Effects!More...