v5.3.8 Soundtoys Tremolator
$129.00 From $99.00
Auto-gate and Tremolo
Need tremolo? We got you covered. Tremolator emulates the tremolo effect of classic guitar amps such as the Fender, and even the great tremolo sound of the Wurlitzer electric piano.
Add dynamic control of speed and depth that lets the tremolo respond to the music. Then toss in MIDI sync to lock to your tempo. Oh, yeah, then there’s our programmable Rhythm Editor that let’s you write custom patterns and turns this amazing tremolo into a outrageous rhythmic auto-gate. Vintage guitar effect and modern remix tool at your service.
Tremolo of Old
Gear heads that we are, we broke out the test gear and analyzed the waveforms created by some of our favorite old gear. Then we used our custom LFO waveshape editor built into Tremolator to perfectly recreate them. It’s very interesting to look at these shapes and see why each of these vintage pieces has a unique sound. Pass that through our Analog mode, which emulates going in and out of a piece of analog hardware, and you’ve got all the pieces of a great sounding tremolo.
Chop Shop: Auto-Gate Mania
Switch the nice smooth tremolo waveforms over to a sharp squarewave and you turn this into a monster of an auto-gate. You can lock it to MIDI with the flip of a switch, then select 1/8th notes, 16th notes or whatever fits the rhythm you need. If straight note pulses isn’t what you need, use the Rhythm Editor to write your own cool groove (You can even pull a groove from our library). More? Add some swing or shuffle, accents, and analog mode. You can even use the Waveshape Editor to tighten or loosen the gate time.
In the Tweak menu you’ll find the Dynamics controls. These parameters let your playing control the speed and/or depth of the modulation. You can create cool speed ups or slow downs based on how loud or soft you play. You can create smooth increases in depth as your cords fade out, or heavy tremolo that fades away. Plus there are already some great presets in our Dynamics folder that you can “tweak” to fit your needs.
Officially Supported Host Applications
All version 5 Soundtoys products come in 64-bit VST, AU and AAX Native plug-in formats. Here is a list of our officially supported host applications.
- Pro Tools 11 – 2022.6 (Mac & PC: AAX Native and AudioSuite)
- Logic Pro X – 10.7* (Mac: AudioUnits)
- Ableton Live 9.2.2 – 11 (Mac: AudioUnits & VST; Windows: VST)
- Studio One 4.5+ (Mac: AudioUnits & VST; Windows: VST)
- Cubase 9.5 – 12* (Mac & PC: VST)
- Nuendo 8 – 11 (Mac & PC: VST)
- Reaper 6 (Mac: AudioUnits & VST; Windows: VST)
- Bitwig 4 (Mac & PC: VST)
Officially Supported Operating Systems
- OS X 10.12 or later
- Windows 7, 8, 10
Note about DAW / Computer Support
We cannot guarantee support if you are using a supported host platform listed above on an operating system or computer that is not supported by the host platform itself. Please visit your DAW’s website or manual to ensure you are using a compatible system.
If your DAW is not on the list above, it doesn’t necessarily mean that our plug-ins won’t work. It just means that it has not been tested. If something goes wrong with an unsupported DAW, you are welcome to write into support, but we cannot guarantee a solution. We currently recommend using our free trial with the hosts listed below to confirm compatibility on your computer.
- FL Studio
32-Bit Plug-in Support
With the release of 5.3.2, we officially discontinued support for 32-bit plug-ins. With macOS Catalina requiring all applications to be 64-bit, and with the vast majority of our PC customers using 64-bit plug-ins, we decided it was the right time to end 32-bit support. Our most recent 32-bit installers are available to download below.
iLok.com account (An iLok USB dongle is not required. Create a free account here)
What’s new in v5.3.8
- VST3 support for both Windows and macOS
- Native compatibility with both Apple Silicon (M1/M2/M-series) and Intel processors
Known Issues and Notes
- In Digital Performer 11, discrete parameters behave incorrectly for VST3. We recommend using VST2 or AU in Digital Performer 11 until the issue can be resolved.
- Some hosts will automatically replace VST2 plug-ins in sessions with matching VST3 versions, depending on the DAW and your DAW preferences. Our VST3 versions are fully interchangeable with their VST2 counterparts, but not all hosts implement this feature of VST3.
What’s new in V5.3.7
- Adds native Apple silicon support for Audio Units and VST2.
- Fixes issue where installers may fail to install for certain users.
Known issues and notes:
- The minimum recommended version of Logic for native Apple silicon is 10.7.3
- Switching presets in Logic’s built-in preset manager may cause instability with Effect Rack. Using our internal preset manager should be fine.
- VST3 support is not included in this release and will come at a later time.
October, 20, 2021
- Fixed an issue where Effect Rack could crash when doing an offline render to a new sample rate with VST.
- Fixed an issue where Effect Rack could produce an incorrect “out of automation slots” alert during an offline render.
September 30, 2021
- Fixed issues with offline rendering in certain hosts, where the effect might have a delayed onset or undesirable fade in.
- Fixed audio artifacts that could happen when editing modulation patterns during playback.
- Fixed issue where events could be edited to 0 level and then no longer modified.
- Effect Rack now resets delay buffers on preset changes.
- Fixed an issue with PhaseMistress sound for certain 2-stage phaser styles.
- Fixed an issue where Effect Rack could crash on load in Reaper on Windows.
- Pattern editor stability improvements.
March 30, 2021
- Fixed CPU Spiking in Bitwig when certain plug-ins were on an instrument channel.
- Fixed incorrect license expiration warning that would appear in certain circumstances.
- Fixed bug where Effect Rack could lose signal after re-ordering effects in certain circumstances.
- Fixed issue where EchoBoy could crash while changing presets during audio playback.
- Added new transport indicator to Rhythm Editors to convey current location within a pattern.
- Stability improvements for Windows versions.
December 10, 2020
- Added support for macOS Big Sur (11).
- Fixed minor graphics issues in macOS Big Sur.
- Fixed issue where plug-ins would sometimes crash on instantiation in GarageBand or Maschine on macOS Catalina.
- Improved handling of bad floating point values.
- Fixed graphical issues with pattern editors.
- Fixed tempo sync during offline render in certain plug-ins.
- Fixed issue where delay of dry signal path in Little AlterBoy did not match host DAW delay compensation.
- Fixed issue where Decapitator would flood undo history with AutoGain changes in Ableton.
- Eliminated low level noise from MicroShift.
- Adjusted levels of Decapitator’s “Dark Drive” preset.
- Added numpad and arrow key support for string controls.
- Improved mouse tracking behavior in preset menus.
- Fixed Effect Rack crash that could happen during certain preset changes.
- Fixed “Waveform and Rhythm Too Complicated” alert in certain rhythm presets.
- Fixed Tremolator crashing on selection of “12 Bar Roller” rhythm preset.
- Fixed Organize command disappearing from the preset menu in certain situations.
- Fixed rare crash on recall with multiple Effect Rack instances in Ableton.
December 17, 2019
- Added support for macOS Catalina (10.15).
- Fixed issues on Windows where knobs could snap to minimum position and stop responding to mouse movements.
- Double-clicking to reset controls has been fixed on Windows.
- 32-bit plug-ins have been discontinued.
- Installer now includes the latest version of iLok License Manager, which solves an issue where plug-ins were blacklisted in Cubase on Windows.
October 30, 2019
- Fixed a bug in Little AlterBoy that could cause left and right channels to move slightly out of sync when used on a mono track in DAWs like Ableton and Cubase that process mono tracks in stereo.**
- Fixed a similar left/right sync bug that could affect PrimalTap in “Freeze” mode.**
- Improved parameter mapping for Resonance parameter in FilterFreak and PhaseMistress. This may very slightly change the sound of sessions that use automation on this parameter. If no automation is used on this parameter then all sessions should recall perfectly.
- Smoothed out choppy animation on certain Retina displays.
- Repaired window scaling problems in Windows on high DPI monitors, especially in Ableton and Studio One
- Added MIDI triggering to PhaseMistress and EffectRack AAX.
- Installer icons on Mac and PC should now show up more easily on a black background.
- Mac installer supports light and dark mode.
- New Remove Soundtoys utility on Mac lets you uninstall individual plug-ins more easily.
** These changes will affect the sound of audio in some sessions. You may want to bounce or freeze tracks if you want to keep the out-of-sync or phasey sound that may have occurred in previous versions.
Soundtoys 5.3.1: Our Final 32-bit Release
We’re happy to announce that Soundtoys 5.3.1 is now available. This update includes an important improvement to Little AlterBoy and PrimalTap and a number of other bug fixes.
Soundtoys 5.3.1 will be our final patch before we add support for MacOS Catalina, which will require us to drop 32-bit plug-in support. This will be our final 32-bit compatible release for both MacOS and Windows. Visit our Download Page to get the latest installers.
Little AlterBoy and PrimalTap Sync Fix
When using Little AlterBoy on a mono track with a stereo output, sometimes it was possible for the left and right channels to shift out of sync. This could add an unwanted “phasey” sound to the vocal, or create a slight difference in the sound of the left and right channels. This bug could also affect PrimalTap’s Freeze mode. Soundtoys 5.3.1 fixes this issue.
NOTE: this fix may change the sound of some audio tracks that use Little AlterBoy and PrimalTap (in freeze mode). We think this change is for the better! However, if you think the out-of-sync sound is an important part of some of your tracks, we recommend you bounce or freeze those tracks to preserve the exact sound they have today.
MacOS Catalina Support Coming Soon
If you’re a MacOS user, you’ve probably gotten word that many DAWs and plug-ins, including Soundtoys, do not yet support MacOS Catalina. Unlike previous releases of MacOS, Catalina introduces new security safeguards and ends support for 32-bit applications and plug-ins, creating a significant challenge for plug-in developers. We’re hard at work updating and testing our products, and we will have an update soon.
What’s new in v5.3
macOS and PC:
- Plug-in activation window now includes support for Activation Codes, which will be distributed to customers who purchase a new product (not an upgrade) from our web store, and will allow those licenses to be activated without an iLok account (optional).
- Little Plate is now included in the 5.3 license group for new Soundtoys 5 customers.
- macOS Mojave is now officially supported.
- Graphics issue that was causing several components of the Soundtoys graphical user interfaces to display incorrectly on macOS Mojave has been resolved.
What’s New in v5.2.3
All Soundtoys Plugins updated June 4, 2018 (Maintenance Update 18.104.22.16819 (Mac) and 22.214.171.12436 (PC))
- Little Plate now included in the Soundtoys 5 installer
- Fixed rare audio dropout/glitches under certain circumstances
- Fixed crash that could happen sometimes on session recall
- Fixed sluggish animation of tweak drawers on high DPI monitors on Mac
- Fixed rhythm editor to allow for creation of multi-bar rhythms
- Fixed “update nesting too deep” alert
- Added support for MIDI triggering to AAX versions of FilterFreak and PrimalTap
- Fixed CPU spiking in certain instances
- Fixed AudioSuite support for different stem formats (mono-mono, mono-stereo, stereo-stereo) for Tremolator, Decapitator, Devil-Loc Deluxe, FilterFreak 1 & 2, Little Radiator, Radiator, and Sie-Q
- Fixed occasional crash when rendering in Reaper on Windows
- Fixed preset sorting in macOS High Sierra
- Audio Units plug-ins will now scan correctly without requiring a restart in macOS High Sierra
- Locked knob titles will remain red when GUI is closed and reopened
- Fixed Pro Tools automation hotkey support for Effect Rack, as well as compound parameters like Delay Notes/Time in EchoBoy
- Fixed Pro Tools automation hotkey support for all plug-ins on Windows
- Fixed session recall in AU Lab
- Fixed balance offset in in PanMan Random & Triggered modes
- Updated VST plug-in names to make them consistent with AU and AAX versions when displayed in DAWs. *This included Little Plate, Little AlterBoy, Little Radiator, Little PrimalTap, Little MicroShift, EchoBoy Jr., and Sie-Q.
What’s new in 5.2:
- EchoBoy Jr. is now available in Soundtoys 5 and Effect Rack
- EchoBoy Jr. is now included with individual EchoBoy 5 licenses and installers
- Some Effect Rack presets now include EchoBoy Jr.
- Fixed an issue where certain AAX plug-ins did not support multi-mono operation
- The LFO rate parameter can now be automated in PhaseMistress and FilterFreak 1 & 2
What’s new in 5.1
Sie-Q was added to the lineup.
What’s new in 5.02
- Plug-ins with the Analog Mode option now have a new “Op Amp” style to replace the Version 4 “Digital” style that was removed. In the previous version 5 release sessions using “Digital” defaulted to “Clean”. They now default to “Op Amp”. This will address the sound differences that some customers heard when recalling old sessions.
- PrimalTap has a new Auto Gain switch added to the Tweak menu. When enabled, the output will automatically be lowered proportionally as the input gain is raised. This is the new default behavior for PrimalTap. Old sessions and user presets will open with Auto Gain set to “Off.”
- Preset names, when edited, now display in italics to indicate an edited state
- Preset names are now displayed correctly when sessions that were last saved with V4 are recalled (instead of reading “Default”).
- Fixed an issue in PrimalTap where the Rolloff feature was not filtering the feedback loop as intended. (Note: this update will change the sound of some presets and sessions but is the correct and intended sound and behavior of PrimalTap).
- Fixed an issue where Devil-Loc and Devil-Loc Deluxe knobs could jump to minimum or maximum when clicked in a certain area.
- Fixed a problem where the delayed signal in EchoBoy might drop out under certain conditions.
- PhaseMistress default settings will now sound identical to the default preset.
- Preset names are now pre-populated when using the Save As… option.
- Resolved a Windows problem where alerts could be hidden behind other windows.
- Fixed issues that would cause the compare light to come on unnecessarily with certain plugins and presets.
New in Soundtoys 5:
- Effect Rack, PrimalTap, and Little AlterBoy plug-ins
- New authorization options
- Workflow enhancements
Getting Rhythmic with SoundToys Plug-ins
SoundToys guru Mitch Thomas demonstrates the basics of using SoundToys plug-ins to create rhythmic effects, and then dives deeper with the powerful Rhythm Editor in part 2.More...