Beautifully designed room models, ranging from small ambiences and rooms to large concert halls and huge cathedrals.
FabFilter Pro-R is a high-end reverb plug-in with natural sound, musical controls, and innovations like the unique Decay Rate EQ to shape the reverb’s character.
A high-quality algorithmic reverb should sound natural and ‘real’, has enough density and still sits in the mix perfectly without causing undesirable coloration or phase problems. At the same time, it should not confuse you with over-technical controls and too many options, but must be easy to set up and a joy to work with. With FabFilter Pro-R, we have aimed to create just that.
From IR (impulse response) processors to algorithmic models or emulations of vintage classics, you’ve probably tried them all. While IR reverbs may sound convincing, they are not very flexible and often so dense that it’s difficult to make them fit in a mix. On the other hand, many algorithmic reverbs are not dense enough, sound artificial or offer so many technical options that they are simply too difficult to set up.
FabFilter Pro-R Highlights
- Beautifully designed room models, ranging from small ambiences and rooms to large concert halls and huge cathedrals.
- Carefully developed to easily fit in the mix, without causing undesirable coloration, density, or phase problems.
- Gorgeous Retina interface with large interactive reverb display featuring Decay Rate EQ and Post EQ curves.
- Very easy to set up, with comprehensible, non-technical controls:
- Stepless Space control, which smartly and smoothly combines the room model and decay time of the reverb. You can choose from over a dozen carefully designed room models and seamlessly vary between them, without hearing clicks or unwanted artifacts.
- Decay Rate control, changing the overall decay time from 50% to 200% of the current Space setting.
- Intelligent Stereo Width control, ranging from pure mono to true stereo and beyond.
- Distance control to adjust the proximity to the sound source in the selected space.
- The Character control changes the sound from a clean, transparent decay, to a lively reverb with pronounced reflections and echoes, all the way to an over-modulated chorus-like effect.
- Perfectly tuned Brightness knob, affecting not only overall brightness but also the decay of high frequencies.
More FabFilter Pro-R Features
- Mix knob with a Lock Mix option, which prevents preset loading from overriding the current mix setting.
- Pre delay control via the bottom bar, ranging from 0 to 500 ms, with optional host tempo sync.
- Innovative 6-band Decay Rate EQ, with Low/High Shelf, Bell, and Notch filters. Compared to the commonly used low- and high crossover system, the Decay Rate EQ opens a world of possibilities. To explain, it gives you full control over the decay rate at different frequencies.
- 6-band Post EQ to equalize the final reverb sound, with Low/High Cut up to 96 dB/oct, Low/High Shelf, and Bell filters. Together with the Decay Rate EQ, this lets you design reverbs of any style and character.
- Real-time spectrum analyzer that also visualizes the decay time at different frequencies.
- Full-Screen mode, offering a large analyzer display and reverb Decay Rate EQ and Post EQ controller.
- Multiple interface sizes: Medium, Large, and Extra Large.
- Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces.
FabFilter Pro-R is also available in the FabFilter Essentials Bundle and the FabFilter Pro Bundle.
FabFilter Pro-R is available in VST, VST3, AU (Audio Units), AAX Native and AudioSuite formats (all both 64-bit and 32-bit), as well as RTAS (32-bit only), for Mac OS X and Windows.
- 32-bit: Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP
- 64-bit: Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista (x64)
- VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
Mac OS X requirements:
- 32-bit: OS X 10.6 or higher
- 64-bit: OS X 10.6 or higher
- AU or VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools
- Intel processor
What’s new in v1.08?
- Fixed an issue with text entry for parameters on macOS Catalina.
- Fixed occasional crashes on macOS when loading projects in some DAWs (e.g. Logic Pro), related to having PACE-protected third-party plug-ins in the same session.
- Fixed occasional crashes in Bitwig on macOS, when opening sessions that contain FabFilter VST3 plug-ins with side chain support.
- Fixed interface scaling issues on macOS 10.14 and higher, when dragging a plug-in interface between Retina and non-Retina monitors.
- All VST3 and AU plug-ins with now show up in the DAW without the ‘FabFilter ‘ or ‘FF ‘ prefix in their name.
- On macOS, all plug-ins are now 64-bit only.
- Minor bug fixes and improvements.
The updated plug-ins are fully compatible with previous versions.
What’s new in version 1.05?
- Updated plug-in for full compatibility with Mac hosts built specifically for macOS 10.14 (Mojave), such as Logic Pro 10.4.4, running under macOS 10.14.0 or 10.14.1. Previously this could lead to an all-black plugin interface.
- Improved the way settings are saved when multiple plug-in instances are open to make sure the last setting that was chosen is saved correctly for new instances.
- Added support for 300% scaling on 8K displays (High DPI) on Windows.
- Fixed an issue that could cause incorrect scaling of the plug-in interface in Cubase 10 or Live 10 on High DPI displays in combination with certain graphics drivers on Windows.
- Added a Refresh item to the Options submenu of the presets menu: this makes it possible to manually refresh the menu (and any V1/V2 Preset Folder submenus if available).
- Fixed a bug on Mac that could cause program changes received by one plug-in to be forwarded to other FabFilter plug-in instances.
- Various minor bug fixes and improvements.
What’s new in version 1.04?
- Fixed possible crashes in Logic Pro X, which occasionally tries to initialize plug-ins with invalid/uninitialized buffers.
- Fixed possible crash in Nuendo 7 on macOS when closing a plugin.
- Fixed issues with key stroke stealing on Windows when using the Avid S6 control surface.
- Fixed incorrect appearance of plug-in interfaces in Live 10 in High DPI mode.
- The VST 2.4 plug-in will now automatically adapt its channel layout to match the audio/track it is placed on. Note that the separate “(Mono)” version of the plug-ins are still included for backwards compatibility.
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash when moving the mouse over the right edge of a menu with icons.
- Small bug fixes and improvements.
What’s new in version 1.03?
- Pro-Q 2, Pro-R: Added a workaround for a bug in Ableton Live on Mac that could cause the Q parameter for a band to be reset to its minimum value when dragging it around in the AU plug-in version of Pro-Q 2.
- Improved Avid S6 page tables mappings in the AAX plug-ins, now more closely following Avid’s conventions for a better workflow.
FabFilter Pro-R Distance Knob, Adjusting Proximity
Eric Burgess demonstrates the Distance Knob in FabFilter Pro-R to move the piano track back in his mix to create space for other instruments. This is a fun tutorial and super helpful to anyone using Pro-R or thinking of using it!More...