v6 iToo Software RailClone
$275.00 From $261.25
Upgrade From $70.00
Download demos and trial versions, product documentation, free presets and more.
You may download a free Demo after logging in.
Artist-friendly parametric modeling and layout for 3ds Max
RailClone is an exceptional scene assembly tool. Its rule-based approach to modeling makes parametric layout accessible to VFX artists.
Tired of using fixed, hard to modify, assets that require time-consuming manual labour to edit? Wish it was easier to create smart parametric objects that are easy to update, can be used and reused again and again, but requires minimal time investment? Enter RailClone – the artist-friendly parametric modelling and spline-cloning plugin for 3ds Max that’s fast, efficient, and easy-to-learn.
RailClone is unlike any other tool on the market. Objects are created simply by assembling and repeating existing geometry using an easy-to-define set of rules. If you can model in Max, you can create procedural objects with RailClone
Choose from hundreds of built-in presets, adapt existing objects by adding your own geometry, or even create your own from scratch using RailClone’s easy-to-understand visual editor.
Thanks to Railclone, now anyone can create and use sophisticated parametric assets.
What’s new in Railclone 6?
The latest version of RailClone Pro makes it easier than ever to create complex parametric models for architecture, VFX, and games.
New Library Browser
The library browser has been rewritten from the ground up. Add 100s of objects selected from a scene and automatically build matlibs and generate thumbnails in a couple of clicks.
Introducing RailClone Slice
Prepare existing assets for use with RailClone using the new RailClone Slice modifier that divides a mesh into all the pieces you need to create common styles.
Updated asset library
RailClone 6 marks the first phase of a major overhaul of the built-in library. In this release you’ll find over 160 new parametric assets in 5 collections.
Always-on-top style Editor
Edit styles and interact with the scene at the same time thanks to the ability to keep the Style Editor open even after the RailClone object is deselected.
Create macros by simply copying and pasting an entire graph into a new macro tab. Segments, splines, and numeric nodes are converted to inputs automatically.
Password protect graphs
Share styles with confidence using the new password protect feature. Be careful though, it’s so secure that there’s no way to recover a password if you forget it!
Link and Reroute
Make graphs much easier to read using the new Link and Reroute nodes that allow you to redirect, branch, and hide wires.
Style Editor improvements
Speed up object creation with improvements to the Style editor including shift+drag to clone nodes, import the scene selection to new nodes, better selection and much more!
Use RailClone’s advanced deformation modes with confidence thanks to improvements to the Flat Top and Bottom algorithm which can now be used below the path.
How Does It Work?
Learning Railclone Is As Easy As 1-2-3
1 – Base Objects
RailClone doesn’t construct an object from scratch, it works by assembling and repeating existing pieces of geometry along paths. To do this it needs two things – a spline for the path and of course, some modular geometry.
2 – Rule Generators
Imagine you’re explaining to a manufacturer how to build this bus shelter, you might say: “Put a glass panel at the start and the end, add mullions at 2m intervals, then fill in between with the roof and glazing.” If you understand this, you understand RailClone.
3 – Modifiers
Just like Max, use RailClone’s own modifiers, called operators, to manipulate geometry. You can group items, create patterns, and randomize transforms. In addition work with UVs and materials IDs, create conditional relationships, and much more.
Get Started With Railclone
Check Out Our Resources To Help You Get The Most From Your New Favourite Plugin
Tips and Tricks tutorials
Start with the Principles of RailClone tutorial and then head over to our learning section for myriad more videos. New episodes are added regularly!
Download SVGPerfect if you want to use just one icon as a vector on the desktop or in your own icon workflow.
Includes 2 complete books, exercises, and scene files.
Got a question?
Let us know on the forum or simply browse previous conversations and benefit from the knowledge of our helpful support team
Parametric Modelling Made Easy
With RailClone there are no limits on your creativity. Unlike other scripts and plugins that are designed for a single type of model, RailClone can create almost anything.
Easy to use
RailClone uses an easy-to-understand visual Style Editor to create sophisticated structures. Unlike other tools, absolutely zero programming knowledge is necessary.
RailClone is fully multi-threaded and highly optimized for speed. This, coupled with the efficient viewport display modes, and powerful instancing means that you can create and render huge objects, made from thousands of highly detailed parts.
RailClone assembles, transforms, slices, and deforms geometry to create a seamless object. Just set a few rules, and the object is constructed for you automatically, even on curved paths!
Let RailClone do the thinking for you with advanced algorithms to deform geometry to follow sloping paths and surfaces. Inclined and uneven walls, stairs, handrails and balustrades, and stepped fences are no longer a chore to create in 3ds Max.
Ready to go
RailClone Pro comes with nearly 400 predefined styles, including fences, railings, barriers, traffic, walls, and much more. The library browser is fully customizable, allowing you to add new categories and models and share them with your colleagues.
- Plugins for 3ds Max 2013 – 2024 (official support from 2019+)
- Native support for most popular rendering engines
- A comprehensive library of ready-made presets: Over 470 parametric assets
- Premium 1:1 fast-response email and forum support
- Access to new free libraries and macros released during the maintenance period
RailClone comes in 2 versions
To explain, the fully-featured RailClone Pro comes with advanced modes to deform geometry on the Z-axis. In addition, you get an unlimited number of segments and generators, RailClone tools, and the ability to convert the geometry to an editable mesh. The Pro version also includes the full library of other 420 styles presets and the ability to edit libraries and add your own objects.
- Use it commercially.
- Perpetual licensing.
- Includes a one-year extendable Maintenance Plan with prioritized technical support, early access to beta versions, and regular updates.
- Unlimited segments per object.
- Unlimited generators per object.
- Use advanced algorithms to deform geometry and follow paths on the X/Y and Z axes.
- Can be collapsed to editable mesh.
- Over 470 presets.
- Add your own preset libraries.
- Includes RailClone Tools to convert to native instances.
RailClone Pro is also available in the Forest Pack + RailClone bundle.
RailClone Lite is free to use, even commercially. It provides many of the features found in RailClone Pro. Significantly there is a 3 segment limit, only 1 generator, and flat splines. The Lite edition has a limited subset of library styles and does not include RailClone Tools, the ability to collapse to a mesh, or user-editable libraries.
- Used it commercially.
- Free to use and never expires.
- Does not include a Maintenance Plan, with no access to prioritized technical support, forum file downloads, new content, and betas.
- Three segments per object.
- One generator per object.
- Use advanced algorithms to deform geometry and follow paths on the X/Y and Z axes.
- Can be collapsed to editable mesh.
- A limited subset of presets.
- Libraries cannot be customized.
- Does not include RailClone Tools, and cannot be converted to instances.
If you want to know the differences between our Pro and Lite versions, please read this documentation.
You can download RailClone LITE from the link on the right side of this page.
System requirements updated 5/20/2022
Supported versions of 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design
Our plugins support the following 3ds Max 64 bit versions.
- 3ds Max 2018-2024
- Unofficially supported. Due to Autodesk licensing policy Forest Pack is only able to officially support 3ds Max 2019 to 2024. The installer also includes versions of Forest Pack for 3ds Max 2013 to 2018 which should install and work as expected, but we are unable to test them.
- 3ds Max 2013-2018
- 3ds Max Design 2013-2015
RailClone supports native instancing in the renderers and versions listed below
- Arnold 7.2 is supported Please make sure the MaxToA plugin is up to date. You can download the most recent version from the Arnold Renderer website.
- V-Ray and V-Ray RT supported versions are 2.5 or greater for V-Ray 2, and 3.7 or greater for V-Ray 3, 4.3 or greater for V-Ray 3, V-Ray Next and V-Ray 6.
- Thea Render 1.3 and onwards.
- Corona Renderer 1 and onwards.
- Redshift 2.6.24 or above
Due to technical limitations, feature support varies between renderers. Click here to view the compatibility chart.
For unsupported renderers, it is still possible to use RailClone using RailClone Tools to convert the objects to standard Max instances.
Each purchase of RailClone Pro gives you access to a single perpetual license for creating and editing RailClone Objects, the full library contents, and free unlimited render nodes. For the duration of your maintenance plan, you are also entitled to premium technical support and upgrades.
The versions released during your maintenance period are yours to keep forever. If you like to stay up to date with the most recent versions of RailClone we recommend you should stay on the maintenance plan, however, there are no penalties for allowing it to lapse. If you want to skip some versions, it’s no problem and you can jump back on at any time and download the most recent software paying only for another year of maintenance.
For network licenses, you will need to install the license manager on a networked PC. The license manager has the following OS requirements:
- Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 8/8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Microsoft Windows Server:
- Windows Server 2019 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2016 (64-bit)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (64-bit)
- Improved Library Browser – It has been rewritten from the ground up to make it easier to develop new features in the future.
- Always on top Style Editor: Now you can continue editing the Style, even if RailClone object is not selected.
- New nodes: Link and Reroute
- Link nodes connects the input with the output. Use it to organize wiring in complex styles.
- Added Reroute nodes. It lets you to modify a wire, adding intermediate nodes.
- Macro Improvements
- New modifier: RCSlicer
- Password Protecting Styles
- Style Editor Improvements
- Parameter Improvements
- Added new type of value to Numeric/Constant nodes: String.
- Added new Parameter node: ‘Value List’.
- Rc Spline Improvements
- General Improvements
- Added support for 3DS Max 2024.
- Added support for V-Ray 5 in Max 2024
- Added support for Arnold 7.2.
- Previous Arnold versions are no longer supported. You can upgrade to the latest release from here. (Arnold for 3DS Max)
- Added support for rotated or scaled items in groups.
- Added support of RailClone Colour in Corona Renderer (v9 or above) using instancing.
- Added Generator->Cap->Mat.ID: defines Material ID for capping faces.
- Capping faces generated from clipping areas are mapped using parameters from ‘Default Segment’->Deform->’Apply Box Mapping’.
- Mapping parameters are taken directly from the Default Segment and are not affected by “UVW XForm” operators.
- Expression Improvements
- Bug Fixes
- Added support for 3DS Max 2024.
- Added support for Arnold 7.2 in 3DS Max 2022 and above.
- Removed support for Mental Ray.
- Removed support for V-Ray 4.0 (if you use it, please upgrade to V-Ray 4.3).
- Force removal of old DLLs from the 3DS Max root folder.
- Added support for V-Ray 6 (stable version).
- Fixed Marker Data is not read correctly for clipping areas.
- Added Unicode character support to RC Spline->User Data Sets
- Fixed Y Offset in wrong direction when using A2S->Extend X/Y->Auto Align.
- Large performance improvement with complex styles.
- Statistic Data is updated when object is rebuilt and Stats window is open.
- Fixed: Statistic Window shows zero seconds for all values (broken in one of the latest updates).
- Fixed: Parameters of different type are not updated when reimporting from Library or using Style->Copy-To.
- Fixed rare crash using L1S->Y Offset->Sync Offset or A2S->Y Offset->Aligned mode.
- Added support for V-Ray 6 beta (experimental).
- Fixed Evenly gaps in generators without a spline assigned (using X Size).
A new update of the software is available:
- Added new Expression Attributes: XSectionAdjustedLength / YSectionAdjustedLength.
- Return the size of the current spline section, substracting size of Start/End/Evenly and Top/Bottom/Evenly segments (for X and Y, respectively).
- It allows you to fit Default segments (simple or from a nested generator) in the spline section, taking into account the start and end segments.
- We suggest not to use the new attributes to modify segments other than Default, because it would lead to recursion and return wrong values.
- Fixed behaviour of Y Sequence operator when using multiple X Splines.
- Fixed: Conditional->Line/Curve doesn’t work well.
- Fixed support of non-geometric objects in nested Generators for some renderers (as Corona Renderer).
- This issue cannot be fixed for renderers which have not support for RailClone API (as FStorm).
- This fix introduced on 5.2.0 has been removed, because was affecting to existing styles: “Fixed wrong input order when using nested Sequence operators on Y mode.”
New features and improvements
- Added support for 3DS Max 2023.
- Added support for Arnold 7.1 (MaxToA 5.2 and greater).
- Previous Arnold versions are not longer supported. You can upgrade to the latest release from here: https://www.arnoldrenderer.com/arnold/download/ (Arnold for 3DS Max)
- For 3DS Max 2022 and above, RailClone is installed at C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins, using the latest package format for plugins.
- Target folder for 3DS Max 2022 and above can be customized in the installer.
- Added support for silent installation in render nodes (/S in command line)
- Installer detects if 3DS Max is running and can close it.
- Added support for Corona Decals
- Added new field for RailClone Lister: Build Time.
- By default this field is hidden. You must add it from the Lister configuration.
- Removed double-click behaviour for RailClone Lister->Name field, which should rename the object, because it was not working well. Now it just selects the object.
- Dynamic Geometry for V-Ray is disabled. It was causing rendering slowdown in some scenes.
- This feature lets RC to compute segments dynamically while rendering.
- Added Deform->”Slope Fixing” to Transform operator.
- Fixed wrong input order when using nested Sequence operators on Y mode.
- Fixed: Nested RailClone objects generates different result in viewport and render when using Arnold Renderer.
- Fixed: RailClone Tools doesn’t apply Segment->Mapping and UVW XForm.
- Fixed: Library doesn’t import Segments using XRef objects.
- Fixed “Limits Exceeded” error with a specific combination of Bottom Padding and Y fixed.
- Fixed issue using Bevel Corner with Vertical or Stepped mode.
- Fixed: Compose->Group and nested generators don’t inherit Deform options from their segments.
- Fixed potential crash opening Style Editor when using animated parameters.
- Fixed: L1S generator builds at world origin (instead at RC origin), when using X Size mode.
- Fixed: Marker data is taken only for the first sub-spline in arrays.
- Fixed: Marker data is lost when filtering generator by Material ID.
- Fixed crash copying style from a RC object without segments.
- Fixed: Corners are wrongly identified in the spline.
Railclone Lite/Pro 5
- Added Display->Proxy Cache mode. This new feature allows you to bake a RailClone object into the scene or an external file.
- For the first run, you must add it using the Lister ‘Settings’ button.
- The viewport display is limited to Boxes or Quick Mesh depending on the mode that was active when the proxy was created. Note that this does not affect the render.
- ‘Use Segment Material’ and non-geometric objects are supported in Embedded mode only.
- Results may vary depending on the render engine that was active when the cache was baked. If you change the renderer, we suggest regenerating the Proxy.
- Proxy Cache can be managed from Maxscript using $.setProxyMode <mode> <externalFile>
- For Disabled, use $.setProxyMode 0 “”. It returns an empty string.
- For Embedded, use $.setProxyMode 1 “”. It returns a proxy’s size.
- For External, use $.setProxyMode 2 “proxyFileName.rcproxy”. It creates and saves the proxy (overriding the file if it exists), and returns a description error when failed.
- To use a Proxy Cache as a segment in another RC object you must disable Display > Use Instancing Engine before enabling the cache.
- Proxy Cache mode is available in RailClone Lister.
- For the first run, you must add it using the Lister ‘Settings’ button.
- Baked objects load and render much faster because RailClone doesn’t need to perform so many calculations to rebuild them. This is especially useful for complex styles.
- A baked object cannot be modified or edited. When you want to change it, just set Proxy mode back to ‘Disable’, make any changes, and then bake it again.
- The size of Proxy Cache depends on the object’s complexity, including the number of segments and their geometry. You can see the current proxy size in the Display rollout.
- Added Proxy Cache mode to RailClone Lister.
- Several limitations apply:
- Added experimental support for non-geometric objects (including lights).
- Includes native support for instancing lights in V-Ray 2.1 and above
- There is currently no native support for other renderers. As a workaround, objects are inserted in the scene before rendering and removed once completed.
- The size of some non-geometric objects may not be reliably read by RailClone or it may change depending on the active viewport. If it affects your style, we recommend using the Segment’s Fixed Size feature.
- Non-geometric segments are previewed in the viewport with a Material ID defined in the Display->”Non-geom Mat.ID” parameter
- Added support for 3DS Max groups in Segments.
- To assign a group, use Selector by Name (H on the keyboard). It’s not possible to pick a group directly from the scene.
- Groups cannot be ’embedded’ within a RC object. When a Group is deleted from the scene, it’s removed from RailClone as well.
- Added a new type of Numeric Parameter called Selector.
- This enables a parameter to be selected from a list of predefined items, which are shown in Max rollout using a combo list.
- Each item has an associated float value, which is returned as the parameter’s output. It can be cast as an integer as well.
- Added modifier modes to Generator->Evenly->Adaptive: Even, Odd and Any
- Added Banking control to RCSpline:
- It lets you adjust the banking angle along the spline. Basically, it works as Generator->X Rotation, but at multiple spline positions.
- Banking points can be adjusted interactively in the viewport, or by modifying their parameters in the rollout (Percent / Angle).
- When using multiple RC SPline modifiers, the Banking modifier can be selected per generator using the Rules->Banking->Modifier settings. Setting the value to 0 disables banking.
- The Banking Angle can be forced for a specific segment, using a Transform operator’s new Deform->”Override Banking” parameter.
- Banking Smoothness can be adjusted with the new Generator->Banking->Smoothness value. (0 = linear, 1 = smooth).
- The angle can be any value (including greater than 360), but there is a limitation of -180/180 using the gizmo. You can overcome it by dragging the gizmo multiple times.
- Added expression attribute ‘XSplineXRotation’: rotation angle along the spline for current segment (-PI to PI radians). Includes Generator->X Rotation and banking.
- Added XSplineXDirection, XSplineYDirection, XSplineZDirection attributes to expressions. Return direction vectors along the spline for the current segment. Includes Generator->”X Rotation” and Banking.
- “Always Show Markers/Banking” option in RCSpline.keeps gizmos visible when the spline is selected
- Compatible with Arnold Render 7
- Previous Arnold versions are no longer supported. You can upgrade to the latest release from here: https://www.arnoldrenderer.com/arnold/download/ (Arnold for 3DS Max)
- When RailClone is not compatible with the current Arnold version, a warning message will be displayed.
- Generator->”Limit by Material ID” now is a text input, accepting single values, ranges and multiple entries separated by commas. For example: “1,3,5-8”.
- Added full support for non-ascii characters (such as Chinese).
- Improved slicing accuracy for Segments placed near edges of a Clipping Area.
- RCSpline now remembers the ‘Type’ of the selected item when adding new elements.
- Vertex Weld is removed.
- This feature was introduced in the initial RC releases. It no longer has any sense, because is not efficient with complex styles and breaks instancing.
- If needed, use a standard Weld modifier instead.
- Added Segment->Deform->”Force Instance”. When enabled, a Segment is always instanced on rendering.
- Instanced segments cannot be bent or sliced, and Z Deform is restricted as well
- Improved tangent alignment on curved splines (i.e for radial arrays).
- When using Groups/Nested Generators and Slice is disabled, clipping is applied to the full group, instead of to each individual segment.
- Markers are evaluated for Clipping Splines. User Data is available for expressions in XMarkerData.
- Fixed: Marker data always returns zero in expressions, when Generator parameters are evaluated. Marker Data can now be used for generator properties
- Improved detection of planar splines in linear generator
- Display->Max Segments/Faces can be set to 0 to disable all limits.
- Improved result of ‘print’ command in Expressions (I.e. ‘print XSplineLength’ now returns the right value)..
- Added XSectionCounter/YSectionCounter to Arithmetic->Expression.
- Counter of the current section on X/Y Spline. A section is the path between two Start, End, Corner, Evenly or Marker segments. Starts at 0.
- Added XSectionNumber/YSectionNumber to Expressions.
- The number of sections in the spline. A section is the path between two Start, End, Corner, Evenly or Marker segments.
- Added Minimize/Maximize buttons to Style Editor.
Modeling a Parametric Coffered Ceiling: 3ds Max + RailClone
In this tutorial, learn how to make a parametric coffered ceiling that allows you to define the size and position using a rectangular spline.More...
Creating a Procedural Coffered Ceiling with 3ds Max and RailClone
In RailClone & 3ds Max, learn how to create a parametric coffered ceiling, a 3D classic architectural detail made of squares or rectangles.More...
iToo Software Railclone: Xmas Tree III
Learn how to make a rather unconventional Christmas tree by stacking any model into a cone shape, to create a “tree” from nearly any geometry, using Railclone for 3DS Max.More...
Populating Building Interiors with Forest Pack and RailClone
iToo software's Forest Pack isn't just for foliage. This tutorials shows how Forest pack can be used to randomly populate large building floors with people and furniture of all kinds. And how Railclone can be used to create floor plates.More...
Creating Ceilings with RailClone + Freebie
In this tutorial you will learn how to create a ceiling with iToo Software RailClone!More...