Allegorithmic Substance Source
Your high-end material library
Substance Source is an ever-growing content library where you can find physically based, high resolution and tweakable assets for texturing. From fully procedural materials to physically based scans and hand-painted materials, Substance Source is the place to find assets suited to any type of 3D project. Download materials every month with the Substance Live monthly payment plan, or make a one-time purchase of Substance Source access (includes 12 months of updates).
Access 4000+ materials. Get Substance.
An ever-growing library
Thousands of customizable materials created by specialists and world-class guest artists.
Modifiable parameters permit infinite variation.
Materials that are compatible with all major digital content creation apps and game engines.
Not just realistic, but real.
An exponential collection
Substance Source is growing over time with regular additions of new materials, as well as new options being added to existing assets.
Each material is unique — with a unique set of parameters.
One material, countless possibilities
Each material possesses parameters allowing personalisation to match your precise needs.
You don’t merely select, say, a calfskin leather featuring a topstitched pattern – you control the color of the leather, the style of the stitching, the density of the pattern, the degree of wear and aging of the material, and a range of characteristics besides.
A source of inspiration
Find the best creations from the best material authors, thematic collections, and inspirational content – all designed to help you push your creations even further.
A platform for learning
Each material’s node graph is provided.
Explore the processes and techniques of our in-house artists and guest experts; learn from the best of the best.
Customize Materials for Any Project
Substance Materials – Download a single substance file and generate infinite variations.
Multi-Outputs – One substance contains all the outputs needed for any workflow: Classic, PBR Metallic, Roughness, Specular and Gloss
Multi-Resolution – Export materials at any resolution and up to 4k to use in any situation or platform.
PBR – All materials have been developed with physically based workflows in mind.
The Substance format works with all your 3D apps, in both real-time and offline renderers.
From scans to hybrid and fully procedural materials, every type of surface is covered.
Modifiable parameters allow precise personalization of materials.
Preview and tweak your materials before downloading them.
Only the best materials, which have been intensely tested and review, make it onto Substance Source.
Learn from the best
Explore the node graphs created by experts; learn the secrets within.
Substance Source is directly accessible within your favorite 3D graphics apps.
Get inspired with curated collections of materials.
Substance is made for you
- Games – Whether you need to put together a quick prototype, dive into an Indie project, or power a massive AAA production, Substance is the reference toolset for 3D materials.
- Film – The Substance toolset is on its way to become an integral part of every film creation. From commercials to feature films and TV shows, Substance tools and materials have already been used on two Academy Award winners for best special effects.
- Design – As real-time design, including VR and AR, is becoming the new immersive way to present projects, more and more artists are adopting Substance. Whether you need quick, iterative, inspirational tools and content, or massive production engines, Substance is the reference toolset for 3D materials.
- Transportation – Take your car visualization to a new level of realism. Substance materials are cross-platform by definition — further integrations include V-Ray, Maya and CATIA.
- Architecture -As real-time architecture visualization, including VR and AR, is becoming the new immersive way to present projects, more and more architects and designers are adopting our software which integrates seamlessly with Unreal Engine and Unity.
Game Engine and Renderer Ready
Use the Substance material or export the textures to most renderers or game engines.
An Industry Standard
The Substance format works with every tool of your 3D creation workflow.
Our team develops and maintains integrations with all the major 3D apps. And the Substance format is an industry standard, readable and useable in every tool dedicated to 3D.
June 2020 Release
Substance Source adds more than 400 new materials to its collection. This vast addition to our material library is grouped into three main areas:
- Stylized Materials – In March we released our first collection of stylized materials, specifically tailored for mobile game creators. This month, we’re adding more than 220 new materials to this collection. What worlds might you build now?
- Parametric decals – It’s time to get messy. With 100 new fully tweakable decals you’ll be able to decorate your textures with paint splatters, text, handprints, liquid splashes, and much more. Not for the ataxophobics (that’s a fear of untidiness).
- Photorealistic materials – Hyperrealistic metal. Hyperrealistic wood. Hyperrealistic soil. If you want to build an environment that’s every bit as credible as the real thing, we have 100 new materials to help you out.
December 2019 Release
Scan + Atlas + Filter = Introducing Parametric Biomes!
Following the introduction of atlases on Substance Source last week, the team dug deeper to deliver 50 more materials. We call them “biomes”, and they’re a custom assembly of scans, atlases and filters.
The point, with atlases and scans, was to enable you to mix, blend and overlay resources to create ever more detailed textures. Only… We couldn’t resist making these mixes ourselves!
Our goal: design content for those of you who want ready-to-play scanned materials – but parametric.
November 2019 release
658 Atlases: Substance Source introduces a new category with hybrid scanned objects!
For this release, the Substance team brings expertise in capture, optimization, and customization. The result ensures the exceptional quality of the materials, plus infinite possibilities thanks to the atlas’ parameters.
Elbow Crab Workflow: U-Render, ZBrush, Substance Designer, C4D
Get an in-depth look at working with 3D scanned objects, including retopologize, UV-layout, texturing, rigging, and animating. And, create an elbow crab.More...
Substance Painter Texturing - Vintage Theater Chair #mayamonday
Brent Le Blanc shows you how to use Substance Painter texturing of a Vintage Theater Chair for film and games. He uses advanced procedural techniques.More...
Substance Materials in e-on VUE, Tips & Tricks
Barry Marshall takes a look at Substance Materials and their use in e-on VUE. He uses a Substance Material from the Substance Share Area, a free exchange platform for Substance users.More...
Physically Based Rendering / PBR Explained for 3D Artists #TutorialTuesday
FlippedNormals gives a nice explanation of Physically Based Rendering. They talk more about what PBR actually is and also about the benefits of PBR.More...
The Comprehensive PBR Guide from Substance
Here's something a little different for a tutorial Tuesday: this FREE 2 book series on Physically-Based Rendering and PBR texturing, in downloadable PDF format.More...