Maya + Python
What is Python?
Python is an easy to learn, powerful, high-level programming language that useful for creating tools, plug-ins or scripting for 3D applications, games, After Effects, and more. High-level refers to the fact that it's made to be easy for humans to read and write, so that should give you some idea about it. It's also well integrated into Maya and can help users automate tasks and more.
Python Scripts in MASH in Maya 2018
Maya artist Maximilian Schönherr walks users through using Python in MASH, Maya’s super powerful Motion Graphics Toolkit, which we've talked about quite a bit in the past on Maya Monday. Lester Banks also featured this tutorial in late fall and does a nice writeup with more information.
Maya 2018: MASH + Python Smart Presets
Ian Waters shows off some fast and useful things you can do with MASH and Python smart presets using the drop window.
Python For Maya 101 Free Class
Kasper Larsson at Manoanim explains how to use Python in Maya. He has a free course online and he explains how to get his lectures for free. He explains that the right way to do it is to not learn from some online class because users need context. He explains how to reuse scripts. This one also comes via Lester Banks, and he mentions Chris Zurbrigg's great Beginning Python for Maya series.
Python in Maya
- Python in Maya – Python libraries ship with Maya, and with them, you can use Python scripting for simple commands or building plugins.
- Python Scripting for Maya Artists – Chad Vernon put together an online workshop for Maya artists
- Free Python Scripts for Maya – 80 Level has a list of python scripts for Maya artists to download
Other places to learn Python
- An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 1) – This is a free online class from Rice University through Coursera
- An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python (Part 2) – from Rice University through Coursera
- Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) – Free from the University of Michigan through Coursera
- Introduction to Computing using Python from Georgia Institute of Technology through edX
- Learn to Program Using Python free from the University of Texas Arlington through edX
- Programming Foundations with Python free from Udacity
- CS For All: Introduction to Computer Science and Python Programming – free from Harvey Mudd College through edX
- Python for Everybody — Exploring Information
Posted by Michele Yamazaki